Cockroach killer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 August 2004 8.56am
aargh. My flat is suffering from some dreaded cockroaches in the kitchen.

Can anyone personally recommend a pest control company for this?

Hope so.

thanking you in advance for any suggestions.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19 August 2004 9.14am by James Hatts.
Thursday 19 August 2004 11.46am
Where I used to work had a terrible cockroach problem..pest control were called in....the rep. crawled under the table to inspect the traps what we had used prior to his arrival, decided the cockroaches were German..and put a pinch of curry powder onto a strip of sticky carpet tape, when we questioned his choice of bait, he said he could not get bratwurst on the strip!

it did work though...:-)
Thursday 19 August 2004 1.11pm
I wonder what the bill was for that!

Thursday 19 August 2004 5.39pm
Ridding your flat of cockroaches only postpones the problem. They'll be back unless the whole
block is treated. They usually arrive via the large sacks of rice that some residents buy, and then
spread throughout the block. You need to get the whole block treated and even then it's nigh on
impossible to carry out a 100% wipeout.
When the TMC used to send round pest control geezers to check all flats for ants and cockroaches,
I would never allow them in. One of the most likely ways to become infested is to allow someone
who is in daily contact with pests to enter your premises. And it's not in the interests of pest controllers
to clear a problem completely as then they don't have to return. Call me cynical if you will.
Do a Google search on pest control and treat your flat yourself while you wait for the block to be sorted.
Thursday 19 August 2004 10.41pm
>>Call me cynical if you will.

Cynic!

Call me cynical if you will, but I don't believe anybody ever wins those prizes......................
Friday 20 August 2004 11.58am
phoney™ wrote...

"One of the most likely ways to become infested is to allow someone who is in daily contact with pests to enter your premises"

And what evidence do you have for this assertion?

Wednesday 25 August 2004 12.05pm
six traps for 1.00 in the discount shop at surrey keys, opposite the decathlon....
Wednesday 25 August 2004 6.10pm
I remember when Surrey Quays was Surrey Docks. The cockroaches in those days only had two legs.
There used to be a great family pub called the Duke of Suffolk in Hawkstone Rd. I passed by recently
and it's now been turned into flats.
Friday 27 August 2004 2.02pm
so determined woz i to impart the valewable killing info i spelt keys wrong! ....knorlidge is wot i need! :-)
Saturday 28 August 2004 12.51am
Agree that you have to treat the whole building. One office I worked in, a local authority (though not Lambeth or Southwark) had a real cockroach problem - but then the canteen was on the floor above.

The pest people required us to catch any we saw and stick them with sticky tape so they could determine whether the roaches were adults or juveniles. They told us we were lucky. Social Services had recurrent problems with fleas and lice. The reason, apparently, why Councils usually house their Social Services Departments in stand alone buildings, and not in the Main Town Hall.

No idea if this is true. But one, of many, reasons why I have never wanted to be a Social Worker.

Just as bad someone recently told me about going to visit a flat which the tenants had decided to use as a snail farm. Giant African snails on every surface. They ran. But just think if there was a crack in the wall.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: