Relaxing Havens for cappuccinos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Barbara Kerr
Wednesday 19 June 2002 9.01pm
I visit twice a year and always stay at the County Hall. As I am always with my 2 young children and elderly parents, the riverside walk in August and a capuciono in Gabriels Walfe is bliss. My elderly parents, although from North-West England adore London and know the history of all the landmarks.They overlook any aspects of negativism and are knowledgeable and full of enthusiasm for aspects of the area that I would probably just overlook.After sightseeing - are there any other places similar to Gabriels Warfe - in walking distance to the County Hall - just to relax and chill out on a Sunday afternoon? - Many thanks in anticipation of good recommendations !!!
Christianna
Tuesday 2 July 2002 8.39pm
Try the Royal Festival Hall-fabulous views from the Peoples Palace Restuarant and you don't have to have dinner to simply have a drink!Also there are free concerts on so look at the website www.rfh.org.uk to find out what's on.Everything from jazz to swing dancing!
Go down to The Cut-between Waterloo Station and Southwark tube station-several good places to drink and dine.Try a little further down the river from Gabriels Wharf under Blackfriars Bridge and go to the Tate Modern-several places in there for a cappucino and some great art..Next stop could be the Shakespeare's Globe and then the Anchor Inn.Next to that is Vinopolis Museum of Wine.You'll enjoy the experience of learning about and drinking fine wines of the world.Next stop-Southwark Cathedral is definately worth a visit-small bu beautiful.That should keep you busy!I'm a northen-westerner too,living on Bankside for the last 2 1/2 years and I love it because there is so much to see and do.Don't forget St Paul's Cathedral just across the not so Wobbly Brige from the Tate.Enjoy!
Barbara Kerr
Wednesday 3 July 2002 7.45pm
Many thanks Christianna for the reply ! - I'm really looking forward to visiting London next month & visiting the places that you recommended !! - Barbara.
David
Saturday 20 July 2002 8.08pm
Gabriel's Wharf is fairly unique, you ask a lot in requesting similarly wonderful places in walking distance. I always enjoy a panini in Sarnis, Gabriel's Wharf, on a summer's day.

St Catherine's Dock, yes north of the river, does have another magical element worth experiencing.

You could do worse than visit the Millennium Garden in Waterloo Road which has only just had the water features added. The quality of cappuccino is affected by the environment, so get a take away from Pret a Manger and then drink it in the garden.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: