Tower Bridge openings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 24 August 2004 12.11pm
Does anyone know of a published schedule for Tower Bridge's opening for river traffic? I would have thought there was a web site perhaps but I can't see one. BBC London always seem to know on their traffic reports so the info is out there somewhere. Any ideas?
Tuesday 24 August 2004 3.28pm
Right. Let's get building our big masted cider clipper.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 August 2004 11.20am
can't we just book one for a laugh?

Thanks Jo
Thursday 26 August 2004 1.21pm
more seriously, I have been discussing with the manager of the bridge to understand why on earth they do open the bridge during the rush hours (morning and evening as well), just to let these small wooden barges go through. Apparently, boats have priority over the motorised traffic on the bridge

If like me you believe it's more than annoyance at time when Ken is pushing for more congestion charge, I advise sending e-mail to enquiries@towerbridge.org.uk. You should get an answer (nothing can be done, we try to keep it to a minimum ,..).

But the more we complain about the better change that they would think about local traffic on the bridge as well. Even warning on their website is useless if your bus has no chance but to drive through this bridge...

Watch this space (my complaint has moved to "stage 2")
Thursday 26 August 2004 4.23pm
Oh dear,
I rather like it when my excuse for being late for work is; "Sorry ,the bridge was open..." As a foot commuter it's the only excuse I have, apart from losing a shoe or being attacked by a puddle! I also think it's sometimes good to have an enforced moment of river contemplation - although I appreciate that it's probably nicer to do that on the bridge, not stuck in a hot bus. Sometimes it's good that motorised transport isn't always the first priority...

Maybe Ken will double the bridge lifts and give us all discounts on mooriing fees if we travel under sail to work?
Friday 27 August 2004 12.02am
Good grief, what's the rush?? Chill out, watch the bridge go up and down, and appreciate it.
Friday 27 August 2004 9.29am
I had the same kind of reaction when I first read this post. I used to actually quite enjoy standing on the bridge waiting for it to open and close when I walked that way (and was always amazed how quickly they could get everything moving again).

However, I suspect it's not so much fun on a bus, when you can't actually see the bridge opening and closing, and you're stuck in a line of snarling traffic which takes forever to get going again, which may by why Olivier feels differently.
Friday 27 August 2004 2.07pm
well, never used that excuse and would dare not

watching the bridge opening in a boiling bus while my little daughter cries because she's upset waiting so long. not sure a good deal

fact is, Ken is trying to get London moving while a small boat with partying people can cause chaos around the bridge. does not look like having the right priorities to me
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: