Wednesday 25 August 2004 7.25am
Kelsey - where are you actually moving to in SE1? As I'm sure you know, it's one of the largest post-code areas of London and spans a number of different 'neighbourhoods' which are all quite different.
SE1 is, in my opinion, one of the nicest places to live in London as we have such a diverse area that is, mostly, completely un-pretentious.
Some of my favourite things around the area are (some may actually be just outside of SE1 but only by a few yards at the most). In no particular order:
• Imperial war museum - a great history of the world with some magnificent displays. Also free entry!!
• Tate Modern
- a fantastic modern art gallery. Worth going to just to see the building if nothing else (it was an ex power-station).
• El Vergel - Mexican snack-bar which does one of the nicest and best value lunches in the area, just behind Borough High Street
• Sitting down at a bar or restaurant in the Shad Thames
area, watching a huge cruise-liner go under Tower Bridge as the bridge opens (not very often but you can find out sailing times for this).
• Tas café on Borough High Street
- lovely staff, great Humous and nice coffee. Perfect for Sunday mornings and they have all the papers also.
• An historic walk around Borough and Bermondsey areas - so much history to see that can just be passed by unless you look closely (there are a number of organised or self-managed walks around the area).
• Borough Market
- has got a little bit pretentious in the last year, more likely now to see tourists photographing the food rather than buying it. However, if you're very rich then you can go get some of the best ‘lifestyle' food in the area - best to go on Fridays.
• Old Operating Theatre - quite macabre discovery made quite recently in an attic in an old part of Guys (I think) hospital.
• Not in SE1 but Sunday morning at Columbia Road flower market (ten mins from SE1) takes some beating. You can get great coffee and find some plants you never knew existed.
There's also so much more, that's just a few highlights for you!!
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 August 2004 8.41am by James Hatts.