New SE1 resident

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 August 2004 6.23am
I'm moving to London from San Francisco next month, and I'm really curious about the neighborhood I'm moving to. I imagine this board would have all kinds of insider information for a new resident. Are there any places that must not be missed? Things to avoid? Any tips or ideas about the area you'd like to share with a wide-eyed innocent?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 August 2004 8.41am by James Hatts.
Wednesday 25 August 2004 7.25am
Kelsey - where are you actually moving to in SE1? As I'm sure you know, it's one of the largest post-code areas of London and spans a number of different 'neighbourhoods' which are all quite different.

SE1 is, in my opinion, one of the nicest places to live in London as we have such a diverse area that is, mostly, completely un-pretentious.

Some of my favourite things around the area are (some may actually be just outside of SE1 but only by a few yards at the most). In no particular order:

• Imperial war museum - a great history of the world with some magnificent displays. Also free entry!!
Tate Modern - a fantastic modern art gallery. Worth going to just to see the building if nothing else (it was an ex power-station).
El Vergel - Mexican snack-bar which does one of the nicest and best value lunches in the area, just behind Borough High Street
• Sitting down at a bar or restaurant in the Shad Thames area, watching a huge cruise-liner go under Tower Bridge as the bridge opens (not very often but you can find out sailing times for this).
• Tas café on Borough High Street - lovely staff, great Humous and nice coffee. Perfect for Sunday mornings and they have all the papers also.
• An historic walk around Borough and Bermondsey areas - so much history to see that can just be passed by unless you look closely (there are a number of organised or self-managed walks around the area).
Borough Market - has got a little bit pretentious in the last year, more likely now to see tourists photographing the food rather than buying it. However, if you're very rich then you can go get some of the best ‘lifestyle' food in the area - best to go on Fridays.
• Old Operating Theatre - quite macabre discovery made quite recently in an attic in an old part of Guys (I think) hospital.
• Not in SE1 but Sunday morning at Columbia Road flower market (ten mins from SE1) takes some beating. You can get great coffee and find some plants you never knew existed.

There's also so much more, that's just a few highlights for you!!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 August 2004 8.41am by James Hatts.
Wednesday 25 August 2004 3.30pm
Hey Kelsey, and welcome to the area,

There's so much information already on these boards, I'm not quite sure where to start - but here are a couple of threads I can remember being involved with to get you going:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read.php?2,23639

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read.php?2,18188,18193#18193

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read.php?1,6435,6435#6435

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read.php?1,684,page=1

If you've got some specific queries about the area - as there's a heck of a lot going on here - do let us know and someone will try and help you out.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 8.01am
Being a foodie I recommend going on to

1. Manzies- just off Tower Bridge
- Tradtional East End Fare- Jellied Eels , Pie and Mash and liquor rather hard to find in London nowadays.
( not everyones cuppa char but its something different!)

2.Cross the river over to St Katharines for a nice coffee and watch the boats go by-

3.Ditto on Borough - expensive but worth going for the desserts and the divine sausages which are sold in the shops bordering the market- great for luncha nd a quick snack!

4. Agree - Columbia road is great fun if youa re into plants and furniture design

Ol Softie- its all Wing CHun tonight

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: