Shakespeare's Globe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 August 2004 10.24am
I braved the rain to watch Much Ado About Nothing at the Globe last week. Really good production I thought, straightforward, easily understandable, and extremely well acted. Overall, I prefered it to Hamlet at the Old Vic, which got such rave reviews earlier in the year.

But a few days later and I am still wondering about the cast being all female. It does seem odd that a theatre which sets out to recreate the plays in an authentic setting, with clothing and sets based on the Elizabethan originals should have an acting company of women. Shakespeare had to have his men dressed as women, not the other way around.

And to confuse the political point to having an all female company, the acting and costumes were so good it would have been impossible to tell that they were women players without prior knowledge. ( my partner felt the need to ask me if I realised they were all women players at the end )

Anyone else seen it, - or is the Globe strictly for tourists now

[topic title edited by JH to distinguish this thread from previous discussion re. The Globe Tavern]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 27 August 2004 1.29am by James Hatts.
Friday 27 August 2004 1.31am
Measure for Measure is being broadcast live from the Globe on BBC Four on Saturday 4 September.

This follows last year's broadcast of Richard II

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 27 August 2004 10.21am
I suppose if they were truly authentic, they'd have no women at all. Which is why it makes sense to bend and subvert their guiding principles -- which can only ever be guiding of course.

Glad you enjoyed it. It would be a real shame if The Globe is seen as nothing but a tourist trap. Whenever I've been I've been overwhelmed by it on many levels, even when I haven't necessarily loved everything about the productions. I always defend it against criticisms of "heritage England" -- which usually seem to come from people who've never been.

I think Wanamaker and his torch-carriers got it all magnificently right.
Saturday 28 August 2004 5.13am
Is it easier to get tickets now? I'm a huge Shakespeare fan (was born in Stratford-upon Avon) and went round the Globe when it was being built, but after an initial 3 years of trying to unsuccessfully get (v. expensive) tickets I gave up!
Tuesday 31 August 2004 11.31am
I've seen most productions there, and always as part of the standing crowd. I have never had any problems buying tickets on my way home from work the day before. They cost 5 which is practically nothing for the evening. It is a bit hard on the legs to stand for three hours, but being up by the stage is a great experiance.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: