Thames Festival - 18-19 September

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 26 August 2004 11.51am
Dates for your diaries. The Night Carnival and fireworks are on the Sunday evening.

The 2004 Thames Festival
Sat 18th and Sun 19th September
http://www.thamesfestival.org

One event caught my eye:

Reclaim the Beach
Sun | 2 to 7pm | Foreshore by Festival Pier
Beach party featuring live music, comedy, sandcastles, Punch and Judy and more - including the utterly unique Ken Campbell.

Does this mean there are plans to raise the Thames Barrier again this year between low tides, so that we get the beach for the whole day? [If I'm reading the tide tables rightly, natural low tide is at 10.47 in the morning, and there would be 6 more metres of water expected by late afternoon!]

Is there any risk that it may have to be abandoned following Thames Water's pollution during the recent downpours?
Thursday 26 August 2004 11.54am
And don't forget London Open House takes place on the same weekend:

http://www.londonopenhouse.org

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Thursday 26 August 2004 5.38pm
Are there going to be frieworks this year? I thought they haven't had them the last couple of years but may be wrong
Thursday 26 August 2004 5.52pm
I hope so! They're certainly in the advance publicity...

Night Carnival
Sun | 7.30pm | Victoria Embankment to Upper Ground
Over 2,000 people take to the streets for this must see spectacle. Themed to Wild Things, there are musicians, dancers and performers with amazing lanterns, illuminated costumes and fantastic floats. Highlights include massive insect and underwater lanterns by Catalan group Sarruga, awesome costumes by Shademakers, street show by Art Start, structures by Emergency Exit Arts, dance by UrbanConnectShine, a thirty foot Birdcage by Lumina and carnival excess by Paraiso.
Please note: the Night Carnival is best seen on Victoria Embankment and Blackfriars Bridge.

Groupe F Fireworks
Sun | 10pm | Thames by Gabriel's Wharf
A mid-river display by the world's greatest pyrotechnicians hard on the heels of their stunning shows for the Athens ' Olympics.

Thursday 26 August 2004 8.08pm
Last year they had a weird pyrotechnics show in Jubilee Gardens instead of the fireworks on the river.

Watch our video of last year's show:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/650

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 10.45am
Is there a Geographer (LR?) who can tell us how much the water level in the Thames will rise solely as a result of the inflow of water from upstream?
Wednesday 1 September 2004 12.12pm
about this much...
... you can't see me, but I'm holding my hand at a level roughly the height of my desk (though I am on the second floor)
... I think.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 12.37pm
No, I think it's this much....
Wednesday 1 September 2004 1.04pm
It sounds more like the sort of maths problem I could never get to grips with -

Presumably you would first need to estimate the surface area of the Thames between Teddington Weir and the Thames Barrier. I think geograpgers have some rough and ready calculus for this if you know the river's width at both points and the distance in a straight line on the map.

You then need the volume of water entering per unit of time,

The only useful infomation I can provide is from
http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/thames.htm

>"The freshwater flow over Teddington Weir is normally maintained at about 800 million litres/day (178 million gallons/day) but it can be as low as 200 million litres/day (44 million gallons/day) in times of drought. Conversely, it may exceed 30,000 million litres/day (6600 million gallons/day) during the winter. The mean flow (taken over 25 years) is about 5200 million litres/day (1145 million gallons/day)."

So you would need to make some assumptions on likely weather...

Also, are you allowed to assume that the slope of the banks doesn't need to be taken into account.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 1.35pm
From the lack of activity on the forum, I do hope that you have all gone out for lunch in the sunshine and aren't actually trying to calculate the answer !!!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: