what does london bridge look like?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 23 June 2002 7.05pm
Having worked opposite London bridge (the grey boring one that goes over to monument!) for 2 years now I am staggered at how many tourists come into my shop and ask where London bridge is, when they obviously want to see Tower bridge. Its tourists of all nationalities and not just the Americans, who quite frankly should know better by now. How is it that the name of one of Londons greatest and most significant land marks is not known by so many people? Do they stand outside Westminster Cathedral wondering why it doesn't have a Dome on top? I am not whining on because I hate giving so many directions. Far from it. It is great there is so much to see in this area, and I love living and working here, and the tourists are very welcome, but surely they read guide books? Or am I being harsh?
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/discovering/bridge.htm
Sam
Sunday 23 June 2002 11.55pm
Isn't it simply that LONDON BRIDGE, was, for centuries, THE bridge of London. Once upon a time, people lived on it. It's the bridge of legend and myth and popular song. Being disappointed by the real modern London Bridge and/or confusing it with Tower Bridge, isn't that surprising really. I've even heard Londoners do it.
Monday 24 June 2002 9.23pm
dear sam, thats a very fair comment, but any Londerner that gets it wrong should be hanged. Or as one tourist asked me "where is it that you use to guillotine people?" Hmm. Take the jubilee line to Waterloo and get the Eurostar to Paris my dear....
Sam
Wednesday 26 June 2002 1.36pm
He-he.

I liked being asked the way to 'Lie-chester Square'.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: