Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 24 June 2002 12.39pm
has anyone on here ever been to that graceland palace place (on old kent road?) the chinese place where owner dresses up as elvis and sings - is it any good?
Bumble Bee
Monday 24 June 2002 3.26pm
No, but been meaning to ever since I read the following review:

No London restaurant guide that even pretends to take itself seriously can miss out Paul Chan's inimitable Chinese restaurant. Nestling in the lee of some of the Old Kent Road's least appealing tower blocks, across the road from a derelict house and benefitting from the shade of a nearby railway bridge, this is a restaurant that everyone should visit at least once before they die. If I remember correctly, it was the great AA Gill who in a rare flash of extreme kindness once described the food here as not the kind of thing for which one would walk on one's knees over broken glass. As ever, it is difficult to improve upon the observations of the great Gill. A typical 'Elvis Set Menu B', headed with the words 'Good Music' and 'Fun' might run thus: crispy seaweed, smoked shredded chicken, aromatic crispy lamb, deep-fried king prawns in shells with salt and pepper, kung po chilli chicken, beef fillet steak cantonese-style, sweet and sour pork fillet, quick-fried four mixed vegetables, and yeung chow special fried rice. Gracelands Palace is all about atmosphere and this set of low-ceilinged rooms plastered with Elvis ephemera and dozens of framed press clippings has it in abundance. And when finally Paul Chan descends in full Elvis regalia to run through his Elvis tribute session, the effect is intoxicating. I still remember my first visit when I was accompanied by the Tara Palmer Tomkinson of South London, Gaynor Wetherall, and ended up singing along with the great Mr Chan and two of Millwall FC's staunchest supporters, who said if I 'lost the cravat' I would apparently fit in rather well at the 'Den'. Every aspect of that memorable evening (including the concomitant hangover) is forever etched into my memory
Monday 24 June 2002 4.24pm
thanks for that will be gracing that one with my presence soon!
Monday 24 June 2002 6.00pm
It is absolutely fabulous, provided you have had more than several pints and eat before you go.
Monday 24 June 2002 9.20pm
I went for a Christmas party there with some friends a couple of years ago - we were the only people there, but Elvis more than made up for it by directing all his attention on our table.... !!
Tuesday 25 June 2002 1.54pm
Went there a few years ago, enjoyed it thoroughly, food great, chinese beer was great, was thrown slightly when during the evening a young slim Elvis appeared, he was the 'warm' up for the real thing. well almost real thing, when older Elvis appeared.
I have never laughed so much, Older Elvis as previously stated does love a camera.....I have many photos of him...looking at the camera every time, leaning over at ninety degree angles, or face four inches from the tablecloth! It was all done with a great sense of fun...

Worth going there... make sure you have made arrangements for cab beforehand as it can be a bit dodgy waiting for cabs to arrive if you go outside and wait....
Wednesday 26 June 2002 1.25pm
Never heard of the place but sounds surreal! Where abouts is it on Old Kent Rd? Is this guy going through his routine nightly or does he save himself for weekends?
Wednesday 26 June 2002 1.33pm
See <a href=""></a>;
Sunday 21 July 2002 11.41am
tell u what, u do not go there for the food or the wine. i mean it, but the good time to be had is just memerable. i am still smiling at the chinese elvis with his accsent, definatly go because one day you will tell your grandchildren of this place and you 've been there. fantastic fun. just remember to get drunk and let the fun begin.......

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: