Public Spaces and Public Life in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 31 August 2004 5.31pm
The Central London Partnership and Transport for London have jointly commissioned the Danish "Urban Quality Consultant" Jan Gehl whos has successfully transforemed central Copenhagen to look at making central London streets more attractive for pedestrians.

His first report Towards a fine City for People was published in June. I've only just managed to track it down on the web.

Three of the areas studied in depth were the Hungerford Footbridges, Waterloo Station and Lower Marsh.
Full report
Executive Summary

I think that site specific proposals are to come in a set of second stage reports.

Waterloo

The study was made over a period of 60 min. on a summer weekday in the afternoon.
Waterloo station is an area dominated by traffic and is, correspondingly, complicated to move around in for pedestrians. Long stretches of underground passages leading pedestrians underground to reach various locations are hardly the solution to improve
safety and orientation in a complex urban area.

What pedestrians should do:
336 pedestrians (60% of all observed) choose to use the pedestrian subways using the route shown
[LR - Waterloo to Stamford Street via the Bullring].
What pedestrians do:
228 pedestrians (40% of all observed) choose to jaywalk - crossing the four lane road as shown on the right.
[LR - i.e dashing across the roundabout approaches]

Lower Marsh

"During the day, Lower Marsh in the Waterloo area is a nice little friendly market street filled with colourful stands, plenty of goods and many locals conversing in the street.
At night the street changes to a deserted, closed street with long stretches of metal shutters, predominantly closed shops and almost no pedestrians. Lower Marsh suffers greatly from its lack of residents and its lack of night time functions other than a few bars.

Lower Marsh was the only street where the street life studies were abandoned after 7 pm because of uneasiness by the student surveying in that specific location.

[LR - Is Lower Marsh really that intimidating after dark these days?]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 31 August 2004 5.33pm by Lang Rabbie.
Tuesday 31 August 2004 5.39pm

This is really interesting.

wimpy student though !!! it isn't that scary at all.

NB: after dark on Lower Marsh, Marie's is still open for scrummy Thai food and I would urge people to visit. I should also declare a vested interest here in that I have been going during the day for years and wish the people who run it all the best in their (relatively) new night-time opening venture.
Tuesday 31 August 2004 5.41pm
Ah - well done for tracking that down, Lang Rabbie!

I contacted the Central London Partnership for details of the report when I saw it reported on the BBC News website back in early July (I think), but I never received a response to my enquiry.

At that time there was no mention of it at all on the CLP website.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 31 August 2004 5.41pm by James Hatts.
Tuesday 31 August 2004 10.11pm
In my earlier post - for "filled" read "filled" - there must have been a ligature character for the "fi" in the original Acrobat document

My printer got severe indigestion trying to print it.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 11.58am
They used LSE students - says it all really! (re. wimpy student scared of Lower Marsh). They should have used fearless UCL Bartlett students who in their first year are made to visit Dalston after dark and study a car park prowled by drunks and drug addicts.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network