Orbit House - opposite The Ring Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 16 June 2001 6.50pm
In the last couple of days large hoardings have started appearing around the building and it looks as if at last something is happening there. Does anyone know what is being planned - a couple of years ago I got a lealet through my letter-box with an artists impression of a new office block?

By the way 'Baltic' is scheduled to open next Tuesday 19th. I'll give it a try and post a report back. By the way I went to Pizza Paradiso the day after it opened and it was awful. What a shame - bring back Honest Cabbage.
Daryl
Monday 18 June 2001 4.37pm
I spoke to a guy from Edwards the property company (next to the new Baltic site) a few months back and he said that a new 200 million pound office block was planned for the Orbit House site. He also said that flats were being proposed for above Southwark tube.
Monday 18 June 2001 6.36pm
They are going to build an enormous post-modern Will Alsop (the Peckham library) office block in this "business" zone in which we live so that those of us on the Nicholson st estate and in Nelson square have something more interesting to look at than the sky which we can currently see.
Wednesday 20 June 2001 9.58am
Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

When you say enormous Nick is it going to be taller than the existing building? Have you seen plans for this edifice?
If it is much taller, did they not consult the local residents?
Sunday 24 June 2001 9.22pm
It's going to be the same height as the tower part of Orbit house but extend the whole length of the building.
It will have a glass surface with an effect on it to look like sky/clouds.
Yes there was a 'consultation process' but......
Monday 25 June 2001 8.51pm
Nick

Enough said... 'consultation process' is like the election process, "if it changed anything they would make it illegal".
desser
Thursday 16 August 2001 3.09pm
i thought it was to be a hotel? and some nelson square residents were particularly peeved as it will block their view of st. pauls.

apartments by the tube are supposedly going to be for businessmen.

my source might not be terribly accurate but was scared that these two developments would bring in prostitutes.

oh well at least it will iven the place up at the weekend.

it can't be any worse than the scum brought to the area from the hell hole that is mbibe

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: