Skyscraper next to Christ Church

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 September 2004 5.58pm
I am a bit alarmed, that no discussion has emerged about yet another scary plan, that would destroy last bits of old Blackfriars Road houses. I refer to the news item on this website:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1153

A 32-storey block next to the tiny church would be totally out of proportion. Also, all old houses, including the Paper Moon pub and the small shop in the corner (with signs about printer's association or similar) would have to go. Everything actually up to the Mad Hatter pub in Stamford Street.

The developers want to turn this end of Blackfriars Bridge into a mini Manhattan, as there are also plans for similar height buildings above Southwark Station and on the empty lot next to the Post Office. Also the building replacing Sainbury's old HQ has some considerable height. Are they obsessed about towers only because they think they then have something to bargain with the opposition, and offer to take a few floors off as a compromise? Or just because they know Southwark Council, supported by the mayor, eventually will agree to any plans, ignoring the opposition.
Tuesday 7 September 2004 6.43pm

I assume that there is an element of bargaining involved... e.g. " we went to the local residents with 32 floors, they thought it too tall, so we have cut it down to 24 (aren't we being reasonable) so waddya think Southwark? " Other people on this forum know more about how the relevant council committee makes its decisions (and also who is in the committee) - that would be where I would start my lobbying.
Sal
Wednesday 8 September 2004 8.49am
As long as they do not infringe St Paul's Heights they think they can build almost anything!!! On a recent trip to Chicago Planning Department, they can build almost anything without permission as long as they see the Mayor first and he tell's them what he wants to be included in the redevelopment ie more trees, parks open space or car parking etc.
Thursday 9 September 2004 11.31am
Red Bus is right! We may negotiate with developers and celebrate when they agree to minor changes with a pat on the head!

What about the infractructure and the effect of these develoments on the community?Southwark Council must take note of these important issues. You need to lobby them! Even if planning consent is not granted first time round they will probably win on appeal so a Masterplan for the area is crucial.

There will be millions of S106 funding available (Planning Gain Money) you need to tell Southwark Council what you want to maintain a sustainable community! Like a swimming pool and cinema - they are possible.

Don't keep talking it's time for ACTION write letters to Regeneration Executive Richard Porter copied to Ward Councillors and Simon Hughes.

Bankside Residents Forum will be submitting a S106 "wish list" to Southwark Council and developers but they need the community to put their ideas on paper.

Send copies of letters and ideas to Bankside Residents Forum, 185 Park Street, SE1 9DY who are currently co-ordinating resident feedback to Southwark and key developers
Thursday 9 September 2004 12.53pm

When Bankside 1-2-3 (the old St Christopher's House site) on Southwark Street was agreed the SEction 106 sum was around 8 Million. There are plenty more large developments proposed - the least we can do is get something back for the community. How much does a health centre or swimming pool cost? Or the creation of a small park?
Friday 10 September 2004 3.05pm
Has anybody been able to reach the Southwark planning applications register on their website in a while?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/OurServices/Planning/PlanningApplications/

"Page not found" says my PC, what are we missing?

And yes, we really do need to fight off at least some of this mad development frenzy! What about getting the Paper Moon and that other old shop building listed (Blackfriars Road) , any chance of that?
Friday 10 September 2004 3.11pm
http://194.168.41.26/cgi-bin/acolnetcgi.exe is the direct address

Though no applications have yet been submitted for this particular development.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 September 2004 3.19pm
Thanks, James. That Southwark website is really a joke, I don't think I have seen so many dead links on a professional site ever...
Friday 10 September 2004 3.38pm
easiest way of getting it listed is by providing photo's and some kind of proof that it's of national importance, say by some famous architect, or of local significance, or even valued as part of a group. The more evidence the better.

more (accurate) information can be found on the English Heritage website
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

send info to DCMS

Friday 10 September 2004 4.11pm
See also the DCMS website (heritage is now called "historic environment" in official circles)

http://www.culture.gov.uk/historic_environment/Listing.htm

in particular

how to apply to have a building listed
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: