Alaska Buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
DSC
Wednesday 8 September 2004 2.57pm
Hi all - first time poster, so please be gentle(ish).

I'm thinking about moving into one of the smaller flats in the ABs - if anyone who lives there could tell me a bit about what it's like to live there, I'd be hugely grateful.

Also, I've got a few friends who live around the London Bridge end of Bermondsey St, and I know Shad Thames pretty well, but the bit around Grange Road and the Spa is slightly unknown territory to me - so again, I'd welcome any info on how good the buses are, if it generally feels ok to be walking around there late at night, what the recommended bars/restaurants/shops are etc.

Thank you in anticipation...
Wednesday 8 September 2004 3.45pm
I live next door - pretty well to the Alaska. I've never felt worried walking about at night. But I do know people do get mugged - but no more than anywhere else in London.

Buses are excellent - you've got the no 1 & 68 (?42). that stop outside the Alaska. If you go to OKR there are plenty of buses over Westminster, Waterloo & Blackfriars Bridges

Restaurants: Bermondsey Kitchen; Hartley; Champor Champor.

Shops: Waitrose, Canary Wharf. nuf said!
Wednesday 8 September 2004 4.39pm
I live near as well, and a good friend of mine used to live in the Alaska Buildings themselves. It's a lovely development; wouldn't mind living there myself.

To add to what Mapmaker said, the other bus that stops outside the Alaska Buildings is the 78, which goes up to Liverpool Street (and beyond) or to Peckham the other way.

The 42 (Denmark Hill to Liverpool Street) and 188 (Greenwich to Russell Square) go along Tower Bridge Road.

And Arancia is another excellent restaurant just along the road.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 8 September 2004 4.46pm by The Lady Miss Jo Jo.
Wednesday 8 September 2004 5.03pm
I too, endorse and use Arancia, the chocolate semi-fredo pudding is thing of great beauty.
DSC
Wednesday 8 September 2004 9.28pm
Friends who are obviously frequent visitors here as I was rumbled within 5 minutes of putting this message up!

Thanks for all your tips...
Thursday 9 September 2004 6.26am
Alaska is beautiful- fantastic gardens, peaceful (unless you have ground floor flat over Grange road) and a joy to live in. I have been here 2 years and don't want to leave. 24 hour concierge and 25 minutes to Centre Point on the No1 bus. ..and the architecture is stunning.

Area is changing before our eyes, although it will never lose its Bermondsey roots, which isnt a bad thing. Move before it gets even more expensive to buy- big developments happening on spa road (new park landscaping and medical centre as well as new housing)...and Arancia is a jewel.
Thursday 9 September 2004 6.50am
I live just down past the Alaska building and love the area. Arancia is great, so is Bermondsey Kitchen on Bermondsey street. You've also got the famour Manzes eel and pie shop on Tower Bridge Road!!

P.S. Does anyone know what the Alaska building was originally? My wife thinks it's where they invented the dish Baked Alaska!
Thursday 9 September 2004 7.13am
It was a factory for treating Alaskan seal fur (hence the seal over the gateway) built in 1869. White Art Deco tower and extension built in the 30's (by same architect as Hoover building- Wallis Gilbert). Closed in the 60's. Redeveloped for offices in 90's. Changed to residential late 90's. there is a book about it in the Local studies library on Borough High Street.
Thursday 9 September 2004 8.27am

Where is Arancia and what type of food is it?
Thursday 9 September 2004 8.48am
Arancia's down Southwark Park Road, on the corner with Balaclava Road. Technically, it's in SE16, but it should be in SE1!

It's Italian.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: