Ev: new Tas restaurant off Hatfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 14 January 2005 4.43pm
Spoke to the manager of Ev before Xmas who said, re the shop, they are having problems with their food suppliers and expected to open the shop after Xmas?! But no sign yet. He also said that this is going to be their final expansion for a while and that Ev means 'home' in turkish and they feel this is their home/flagship. However he could have been telling porkies and the BM site might be further empire expansion.

Would def recommend Ev for all-round pleasantness
Saturday 15 January 2005 3.10pm
Went to Ev last night and the place was heaving! Restaurant full (had to wait 20 mins for a table as we didn't think it necessary to boook) and bar buzzing. Also saw the conversion of the British Museum shop last night, windows are whitewashed but there was a sign saying "Tas Restaurant Opening January 2005". Now knowing Tas this will open later than intended and won't appear on the website for some time! :-)
Saturday 5 February 2005 6.18pm
The Ev shop/delicatessen/bakery has finally opened.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 February 2005 1.08am
Thanks for that, James. I went in on Sunday to have a browse round. Although open, the shop doesn't seem completely ready. The café part has no menus, and there are no boards showing any coffee prices or anything like that. Price labels are missing from I'd say about two thirds of the merchandise, so you have to ask the price of everything.

I found it odd how they also seem to have placed "Tas" stickers over the manufacturers' brand-names on many products, as if to pass all the products off as their own. They have plenty of their own products anyway - some with very inventive packaging (cloth bags, with "Tas" embroidered into them), and they also sell the terracotta water jugs which they use in the restaurant (though again, there was no price label). Also something I found confusing was 'Organic'. They call themselves an organic shop, and their bags say 'Organic' on them - and much of their stock is organic, but not everything is actually marked as being organic (unless I'm mistaken).

Another thing I'm not too sure about is that they seem to mark the price of some of their vegetables (squashes, onions) with marker-pen, on the skin of the veg itself.

Having said that, the coffee I had (Lattè, I think 1.75 for the largest size) was very good (and very big), and nice and strong with a good flavour - my only complaint was perhaps that it was too hot - but that's better than being too cold; and a strange but satisfying bready thing (sorry I can't be more specific!) with thin slices of "sausage" (similar to salami) baked onto the top of it was good value for money too.

I also took home a small tub (1.50) of houmous and a medium tub (2.30) of mixed olives. Their houmous is delicious - it has a much nuttier flavour than supermarket houmous. Had there been better price labelling, I probably would have come out of the shop with much more.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network