Tokei Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 September 2004 12.36am
Has anyone been to the tokei centre fitness gym or martial arts gym at Tooley ST?
Wednesday 15 September 2004 6.04pm

I've visited it a couple of times, but have never attended any of their classes, as they didn't coincide with my free evenings. They do have a website that I look at now and again in case anything new appears. It is

I've been doing kick-boxing at another school for a couple of years and was looking for something to compliment it.

Thursday 16 September 2004 9.49am

I'm reasonably new to the area and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good martial arts centre/class?

Thursday 16 September 2004 10.15am

is there one in the shopping arcade by the IPC Tower on upper ground?
Thursday 16 September 2004 10.17am

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 10 November 2013 2.34pm
As a past customer, I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

I used to attend classes here but luckily my instructor has now moved elsewhere and I'm so happy!

This place is cold and unfriendly. The reception staff never smile and look either annoyed or just plain uninterested when you ask them simple questions. I cut my finger and the receptionist who had the first aid kit took ages to get off her lazy behind and give me a plaster, she was too busy was on her phone. I missed 15 mins of my class because of this and she didn't even apologise when I complained. Unacceptable.

The other instructors, especially the Karate and Aki-Jiu J Itsu instructors are egotistical and extremely unapproachable. I am not surprised their classes only have 2-3 students in them.

Don't know about the female changing rooms, but male ones are dirty and the showers are disgusting. Their towels are so old they have holes in them. Come on, how much to buy some new towels?!

I'm so so happy my instructor has now left this awful gym. His classes are friendly and very welcoming. Everyone leaves feeling happy. This gym did not deserve such a fantastic coach and also our money!
Sunday 10 November 2013 3.08pm
My son does Judo at Tokei and his instructors are great. The receptionists usually smile when I take him / pick him up, so my experience is pretty positive. We used to go to the kickboxing club underneath the old IPC building but didn't like it due to unfriendly receptionists and sensei.
Tuesday 12 November 2013 7.49am
Not sure if any of you would be interested but we run traditional Shotokan karate classes on Monday and Wednesday night's above the blue anchor library we are fully insured and CRB checked, the club has been running for over 30 years so a very well established club.
Monday 25 November 2013 10.07pm
The Tokei club is excellent.
We have been going to karate for 4 years and it is always welcoming and accommodating.
Charlene on reception is a real treasure.
Orlando, one of the instructors is very committed and if the kids are willing to put in the effort then so does he.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: