Clink Street/Stoney Street planning application

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 June 2002 10.13am
Did anyone else notice http://www.southwark.gov.uk/templates/planning/planningDetail.cfm?id=0200952 in the papers this week?

Do we really want a 7-storey building there? And another restaurant next to Winchester Palace?

It's bound to be more attractive than the current building on the site, but I think it'll mean that Clink Street will lose all of its remaining atmosphere.
Sam
Wednesday 26 June 2002 1.22pm
I have to say that I think the charm of Clink Street faded a long time ago. Another building on that corner won't make any difference to the fact that it's already a tacky, fake-cobbled, heritage-England home to a Starbuck's.
dave
Tuesday 16 July 2002 11.33am
i noticed it and have sent a letter stating my views. Another restaurant, another load of lofts for wealthy city types...oh well. Anyway the real argument here is that they intend to pull down such a huge area. The cold staore is ugly, granted, but the smaller building on the corner of stoney street and winchester walk is a lovely building as is the huge warehouse that they also intend to tear down next to it.
Its those developers on clink street called 'the factory' that are planning to do it. They have only one interest..money. Hope you also wrote to the planners and objected?
Thursday 18 July 2002 8.47am
Well , whatever Dave wrote worked as it appears the application has been withdrawn.

I hope the planners have some coherent plan for Clink Street as it is already overdeveloped in my view and a low density /no density use would help to keep what little is left of the character of the area intact.

Still , if and when London Bridge Tower is built the character of the area will be changed forever. It is going to be rather hard to film Little Dorritt with a 70 storey glass and steel pyramid in the background.
Thursday 18 July 2002 9.55am
I doubt it's been withdrawn - it's just that the Southwark Council website only shows applications from the last 21 days
the arch druid
Wednesday 24 July 2002 2.03pm
James is probably right - I feel a bit stupid having voted for 'Red Ken' now.
Monday 19 August 2002 11.11pm
I have to agree that the charms of clink st . have faded slightly..I'm a photographer working out of Clink st.studios above the prison musuem I've been there since 1996.The changes in that time have been nothing but bewildering.Going from an area that you felt uneasy about walking to late at night to a Starbucks invested theme park.
An area that was once famous for honest graft has now become a wealthy mans playground..When my building soho wharf is redeveloped a thriving community of artists and craftsmen will become another casualty of this development frenzy...Has anybody noticed how many of these developments are empty

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network