The Necropolis Railway - tour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 10.00am
The Necropolis Railway - tour
Anyone who has read Andrew Martin's thriller "The Necropolis Railway", set just outside Waterloo, may be interested in a tour which includes a visit to the Necropolis railway HQ at 121 Westminster Bridge Road and Brookwood Cemetery, being organised by Anna Robinson, Local History Librarian, Lambeth Archives.
Anna writes:

The trip has been arranged for Sunday 14th November. We will meet at 10.30am at 121 Westminster Bridge Road where John M Clarke - author of all history books written on the subject - will show us around. We will then proceed to the station to catch a train to Brookwood. After lunch we will be shown round the cemetery. The tour ends at 3pm and people can either make their way home or take an optional tour of St Edward the Martyr's church. This unusual church houses the remains of Edward the Martyr and is a Russian orthodox church in the English countryside.

Costs:
The tour
Lambeth is not charging for the event but the friends of Brookwood cemetery usually request a donation of at least 2. They are not funded and carry out all the restoration work from their donations.
The fares
A cheap day return to Brookwood is 8.90. However, if enough people bring network cards we can keep the costs down - bring one if you have one.
Lunch
The pub near the station offers Sunday lunch at 5.95. They need to know numbers in advance so let me know if you want one - otherwise you can bring sandwiches.
To book e-mail me AKRobinson@lambeth.gov.uk or ring on 020 7926 6076

Anna Robinson
Local History Librarian
Lambeth Archives
Minet Library
52 Knatchbull Road
London SE5 9QT
Sunday 6 February 2005 5.50pm
Necropolis enthusiasts will probably be interested in the following:

20:30 One Way to Necropolis

"In search of a coffin ticket, a Victorian funeral train and the guardians of what was once the world's largest cemetery, Alan Dein retraces the route of the Necropolis Railway - from Waterloo to Woking - and uncovers the story of the station of the dead."

Having missed the September tour of the former station, I hope that someone may organise a repeat visit.
Sunday 6 February 2005 6.29pm
I am indeed interested, but you are being very mysterious, Rabbie. 20.30h on which day? And is it a talk, a program, a walk ...?
Sunday 6 February 2005 8.06pm
Hadn't realised how inconspicuous the message headings are in the current version of Phorum.

As noted above this is a programme on the wireless telegraph

One Way to Necropolis Radio 4 8.30pm Monday 7 Feb 2005

Edited to add: you must be one of those wicked people who have the forum rather than the www.london-sw1.co.uk homepage in your favourites - the heading is perfectly clear there!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 6 February 2005 8.09pm by Lang Rabbie.
Sunday 6 February 2005 8.18pm
Lang Rabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Edited to add: you must be one of those wicked
> people who have the forum rather than the
> www.london-sw1.co.uk homepage in your favourites

We haven't expanded to Westminster ... yet :-)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 6 February 2005 10.09pm
Gosh, you guys are quick! I thought I had breaking news, having finally found time to read last Friday's South London Press. Lambeth Head of Archives, Jon Newman, writes about this on page 34, "One-way ticket on the train of death". Apparently the return tickets to Brookwood were cheaper that the price of travelling on the main railway, which explains "the sighting of many black-clad golfers in the Surrey golf clubs". The tour last year was great, and I was pleased to meet some SE1 Forum lurkers at the station, so I hope it will be repeated, although perhaps not on such a cold day!
Sunday 6 February 2005 10.54pm
Thank-you for alerting me to that, Rabbie. I'm afraid my eye just skips over those headings and goes straight to the poster's name and the message content.

I have neither the home page nor the forum page on my favourites - I'm even more wicked than that - I go straight to the SE1 Discussion thread or the Chatter thread.
Monday 7 February 2005 5.30pm
^^^^^^^^^^BUMP^^^^^^^^^^
Monday 7 February 2005 10.21pm
For those who missed it, it will be available via 'listen again' for the next seven days:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/rams/mon2030.ram

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 13 February 2005 5.06pm
The Waterloo History Group are due to have a talk on the railway on March 7 introduced by Mark Hyder. (Waterloo Action Centre 2-3.30pm) And according to the flyer, all are welcome.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: