Anchor & Hope

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 14 September 2004 10.21am
I've been going to the Anchor & Hope since it opened and have had no complaints. In fact, it was one of my favourite places and I was constantly recommending it to people. However, they seem to have some new waiting staff who are quite aggressive and seem more interested in large parties than regular customers. I took a friend there last night and the waitress shouted down a perfectly reasonable request and clearly wasn't interested in listening to what we were asking. Then after the meal they refused to serve us a drink (even though they had just offered coffee) and said they had other customers that they wanted to seat (despite there being several other empty tables). It was really humiliating, like we were second class customers. I know it does get busy but they could have waited until the other tables were full before turfing out existing customers. I hope this was an isolated incident - I have some family visiting soon and had hoped to take them there. Has anyone else experienced a change in the service there? Hoping it was a one-off and that it's safe to go back....
Tuesday 14 September 2004 11.47am

i have never been, my girlfriend tried to reserve a table (they do not do this apparently) and they were so rude that she refused to go. being the supportive guy that i am i have never been either and further, tell everyone i meet (when the subject comes up) that they were very rude... now here i am posting on a bulletin board. isn't there some business statistic about how a happy customer tells 2 people and an unhappy one tells 10 (or somesuch) ??
Tuesday 14 September 2004 11.50am

and it looks ugly too.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 11.55am
And there's hardly a shortage of other places to eat around there (that can rival an overpriced pub with food)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 September 2004 2.22pm
I encountered similar experience i.e.couldn't care less whether you eat here or not!

Food was rubbish anyway.

Friday 17 September 2004 12.20pm
The same thing happened to The Hartley (as was well documented on this website). I am sick of these gastropubs that get some good reviews and win some awards and then forget the thing that makes them what they are is the customer. There isn't yet enough competition for these places in SE1 (by which I mean competition from, specifically, other "gastro"pubs) and, time and time again, an arrogance sets in.

It's such a big city malaise, the idea that you can only have a table for an hour or so because other customers are coming ...
Saturday 25 September 2004 10.18am
My policy is that unless they specifically state when booking that you have to vacate the table at a certain time (which I suppose can be understandable), if they try to turf me out I would refuse to pay the bill (exc drinks). People generally dont go to a restaurant for a feed, they go for a night out.
Sunday 26 September 2004 12.41am

(bump) , apparently there is a 'list' that you can get on to wait for a table (according to the geezer tonight). we went to Baltic instead who were very happy to serve us quality drinks and food.
Tuesday 28 September 2004 11.36am
Not wishing to be wise after the fact but when the topic of how 'marvellous' this establishment is, was loving itself up into a frenzy, I was a lone voice in commenting that I thought the place was totally overrated - largely because I found the staff then to be arrogant, dismissive and uninterested in the customer - seems like nothing new there then.
Tuesday 28 September 2004 11.43am

i have yet to eat the amazing food, being unable to get past the unhelpful staff.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: