Woodworker on Tabard Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 8.08pm
Hi

On the way to the Royal Oak last night, saw a man busy in what looked like some kind of workshop for wood work of some kind: sculpting, turning ...

Anyone know anything about this place? What it does? Who was the man etc?

K.i.e.s

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14 September 2004 8.13pm by James Hatts.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 8.20pm
I suspect you mean Hugh Wedderburn.

Our print publication, in SE1, carried a short feature about him a couple of years ago:

http://www.inse1.co.uk/issues/inSE1-49.pdf and navigate to page 5

See also http://perso.wanadoo.fr/euroleader/wedderburn/hugh.htm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14 September 2004 8.23pm by James Hatts.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 8.32pm
I know Hugh, he's a friend of mine and a very nice man, he produces beautiful work too.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 8.47pm

and he knows everything that happens in Tabard Street.
Tuesday 14 September 2004 9.05pm
I'm amazed he gets any work done, having his workbench with a window out onto Tabard St.

Its getting difficult walking along Tabard St these days - first everyone stops to have a chat with Hugh, and now I know where Red Bus's window is it will be doubly difficult. Then there's Charterhouse to get drawn into, and of course its impossible to walk past the Royal Oak.
Wednesday 15 September 2004 9.35am

have just finished reading the Monkey Wrench Gang - I am now looking at that big, ugly development on Tabard Street with an entirely different eye...
Wednesday 15 September 2004 11.44am

Have just spoke to Hugh - he says hi.
Wednesday 15 September 2004 11.55am
"Destroying eyesores is simply another way of creating beauty, and Edward Abbey's dedicated crew are masters of this particular Renaissance. Of course, what the Monkey Wrench Gang does is outrageous, un-American and inimical to the sacred concept of property, and I thoroughly condemn them. If unchecked, they may even start dumping tea in Boston harbor..." -- Richard Bradford, author of Red Sky at Morning

If you could do something about Sea Containers House as well before the authorities track you down...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: