Battery recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 15 September 2004 11.10pm
Hello everyone

Some time ago i read a thread about battery recycling, where contributors were bemoaning the lack of facilities anywhere.

There are now battery recycling facilities at the Occupation Place site.

If this has already been addressed, please allow for the fact that I'm not a regular - if not, please get down there by bike or when you're going there anyway.

Wednesday 15 September 2004 11.11pm
What's Occupation Place?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 September 2004 9.58am
The Manor Place depot off Walworth Street (in SE17).
Thursday 16 September 2004 1.40pm
That's good news!! The battery issue was my baby!
Tuesday 28 September 2004 3.35pm
The police recently arrested two boys for breaking and entering a firework & battery factory. They let one off, and charged the other.
Wednesday 29 September 2004 7.02pm
Hopefully we will see more and more places for recycling batteries. I found one in suffolk about a month ago and as go there quite a lot I now recycle my batteries. But even closer to home Fresh and Wild health food shop in Old Street (and probably other branches) collect them for recyling.
Wednesday 22 December 2004 5.46pm
Just received an e-mail newsletter from Mike Tuffrey AM, the Lonson Assembly's rep on the Sustainable Development Commission (and Lib Dem environment spokesman on the Assembly, hence the slightly partisan tone!) which contained the following nugget:

"With the EU Batteries Directive on the policy horizon we have been constantly pushing the Mayor to do something pro-active about establishing recycling facilities in London.

"We uncovered that cities such as Birmingham and Manchester, as well as other areas like Merseyside, Cheshire and Lancashire, have been involved in sharing best practice information and creating partnerships with local
retailers and the waste industry in preparation for the Directive's

"I also highlighted that Britain recycles an appalling 0.5%
of household batteries compared with figures of 59% in Belgium and 55% in Sweden and asked him to consider the provision of battery collection points on TfL property.

"Mr Livingstone admits that, at present, his priority is establishing a plastics recycling plant in London. He has promised that batteries will be next but, despite the forthcoming Batteries Directive, could provide no evidence of progress when I quizzed him again on this at December's MQT (Mayor's Question Time).

"There is a real need for the Mayor to demonstrate leadership on the issue rather than evade all responsibility. He needs to get the ball rolling now to establish battery recycling facilities in London and lobby the Government to take action. We cannot continue to allow toxic battery chemicals to contaminate the waste stream...

"Read more about the EU Battery Directive at:
Wednesday 22 December 2004 6.35pm
Wouldn't it be great to have battery bins at tube stations?

(It seems to now be an Forum ritual to have that same joke every time someone mentions batteries)
Thursday 23 December 2004 10.20am
they don't have normal bins in tube stations - annoyingly (where do you throw your rubish? - or your bomb?). so the chance of battery recylcing bins is even less likely.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: