Yellow rubbish barges towed downriver

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 17 September 2004 9.15am
I worry that the yellow rubbish containers, that are often towed downriver in bunches of four by a struggling tug, hold rubbish which is then dumped at sea. Please someone tell me I'm wrong. Surely we can't still be "messing on our own doorstep" in this day and age.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 September 2004 9.12pm by James Hatts.
Friday 17 September 2004 9.42am
I think that the barges managed by Cory Environmental go to the aptly named Mucking in Essex for landfill.

"The Thames Estuary plays an important role in London's waste management. Household waste is delivered to waste transfer stations in central London where it is packed into sealed containers, placed on barges and towed downstream through the estuary to landfill sites. Cory Environmental, the largest barge operator on the Thames, transports over 600,000 tonnes of London's household waste each year, removing around 400 lorry movements and their associated pollution, from London's streets every day."

"River transport helps to reduce the environmental impact of waste transfer by taking lorries, and their associated pollution, off the already congested road network."

http://www.thamesweb.com/page.php?page_id=70&topic_id=14

From the recycling forum on Southwark's website, IIRC most of Southwark's waste goes to landfillm but about 30% goes to the SELCHP incinerator next to Millwall football ground.

Friday 17 September 2004 10.14am
Yes. They fill up at the point on the Sth Bank just opposite Westminster Boating Base (just on the East side of Battersea Power Station), and go from there to Essex. You'll often see two or three barges moored in the middle of the river there, waiting to go in or out.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 17 September 2004 10.46am
harry yanos wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Surely
> we can't still be "messing on our own doorstep" in
> this day and age.

That's exactly what we do with our waste - whether it is buried in a big pit (sorry, landfilled), burnt (cough, splutter) or dumped at sea (don't swim on that beach !!)

I understand that with some hazardous stuff (e.g. chemical poison / nuclear waste) there have been moves to send it overseas to other countries with a more relaxed attitude to rubbish. I supose it depends upon what size your consider your 'doorstep' to be - your street, city, country, planet ...

Friday 17 September 2004 10.55am
Dear Red Bus; Re your posting: Planet. To paraphrase an old native American: "Only when the last fish has been eaten and the last tree cut down will man realise he can't live on money alone."
And hey, good news about the barge people. It's stopped those flat dwellers from being hated forever.
Monday 20 September 2004 8.46am
London's waste strategy has long been a 'mess'.

Cory Environment have had plans for a large waste to energy plant (incinerator), similar to but bigger than SELCHP, at Belvedere. This was first mooted nearly 10 years ago and has been the subject of a protected planning application. It eventually went to a public inquiry and the Secretary of State's decision is expected later this year I believe. If it gets refused, we may see the end of waste barges, as there won't be anywhere down river for the waste to go to. It's better than shipping London waste by rail all the way to Bedford and Peterborough!!

Many years ago (ie. before the Globe was built) I used to work in Park Street and there was a another barge loading point on the north bank of the river (somewhere near Cannon Street I think) I don't know if it is still there.

Steve
gaz
Monday 20 September 2004 9.37am
The use of rubbish barges already appears to be in decline.
During the last year City of Westminster waste lorries have appeared on the streets of SE1. Lambeth Road, St George's Road, London Road, the Old Kent Road now sees trucks in both directions (full then empty I guess) at alarming frequency - every 5 mins- six days a week.
Also privately operated metal walled 6 axle waste lorries rattle and shudder from 6.00am on these routes.
Surely river transport is a better solution?
Why the change?
th
Monday 20 September 2004 9.57am
Steve - the loading point at Cannon Street is still there - I jogged past it this morning (must be mad), the smell was not pretty...
Monday 20 September 2004 12.38pm

I understand they they float downstream (not under power, but under control) until they are out at sea, when they open up the bottom, and dump it.

Loafer
Monday 20 September 2004 4.12pm
loafer wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I understand they they float downstream (not
> under power, but under control) until they are out
> at sea, when they open up the bottom, and dump
> it.
>
> Loafer

Not for many a year - they go to landfill sites in Essex.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: