Tips on selling my sofa

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 18 September 2004 11.57am
About a year ago I got one of those trendy chociolate brown L shaped sofas that are always in adverts for new flats.

It looks great and it's in perfect nick, but I don't find it comfortable and it gives me a bad back.

So I'd like to sell and get a traditional comfy sofa.

Any tips on second hand furniture dealers I should approach? I don't want the "Hmmm, not much demand for them, I'll give you £20 and take it off your hands, I 'm robbing myself" expereince again.
Saturday 18 September 2004 12.19pm
I don't find it comfortable, it gives me a bad back and it's chocolate brown.
That's a good advert!

Give it to a charity and head to DFS.
Saturday 18 September 2004 12.19pm
Sunday 19 September 2004 12.21pm
Give it to Emmaus Greenwich, they'll collect. Call Henry on 020 8854 3426. They will give it to homeless people setting up new homes.
Monday 20 September 2004 10.01am
Despite it being uncomfortable, I might be interested! How big is it?
Monday 20 September 2004 10.46am
I think eBay is a good idea - there is huge demand for leather sofas and chairs there, with even crappy old pieces going for prices similar to new.
Monday 20 September 2004 7.13pm
Th - I've sent you a private e-mail. I'd never looked at the private messages bit of this site before. It's very clever. Well done, James.

Springer - I've sent you an e-mail to the address you gave me in your private e-mail.

To those who suggested e-bay, I promise to look at how it works. In my non-technical way, I had assumed a sofa was too big to put in the post, so couldn't be put on ebay ....
Monday 20 September 2004 9.48pm
Thanks, I've sent you a reply
Tuesday 21 September 2004 8.06am
>>I had assumed a sofa was too big to put in the post, so couldn't be put on ebay ....

eBay recently sold one of the tunnel boring machines used for the Channel Tunnel: £39,999 for 500 tonnes of metal

If you do a search for furniture you'll be pleasantly surprised - currently (Tuesday, first thing) 951 results for a UK search for "sofa". You'd need to research delivery and get a UK flat rate price if you can to make it easier to sell, or else simply state "buyer arranges collection". But there are very few things that can't/won't sell on eBay. My worst was 22kg of metal printing type shipped air mail to California... The pedal car to California was a pain as well...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: