City Hall alignment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 September 2004 7.55am
I had always wondered about the alignment of City Hall - as it does not face straight out to the river or to the White Tower.

It struck me yesterday that it faces the Gherkin!

Having read the Da Vinci code, I know there must be symbolism going on here.

What shape are Foster and Partners planning to make on the map of London with their strangely shaped buildings - could it be a pentagram? Or will hidden secrets or Treasure be found at the centre point of the shape once it is completed?

Or (Land Rabbie will know) does it just point North?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 27 September 2004 9.35am by James Hatts.
Sal
Monday 27 September 2004 8.08am
Well this is an application submitted for another tall tower in Leadenhall Street and from the pictures I've seen it's looks like a wedge of cheese. We will have a mini manhattan in the next few year in the east of the city

Monday 27 September 2004 8.57am
As far as I can recall, City Hall is aligned the way it is to maximise/minimise (depending on the season I think) the amount of solar gain the building receives. Since it doesn't use traditional air conditioning, the amount of heat it receives (and can radiate) plays an important part in regulating the internal air temperature.

See http://www.london.gov.uk/gla/city_hall/city_hall_green.jsp

and http://www.fosterandpartners.com/InternetSite/html/Project.asp?JobNo=1027

This latter page (on Foster's site) has some videos modelling the building and it's thermodynamics (I think).

Monday 27 September 2004 12.24pm
David, with an active imagination like that, I think you should contribute to the SE1 book over in the Chatter Forum. We must be able to bring conspiracy theories involving Rosicrurians, Templars or Cathars into it somewhow.

My understanding is that the somewhat odd relationship between City Hall and the rest of More London arises from the imperative of keeping the diagonal view of Tower Bridge across the site, and a north facing alignment to avoid glare coming through the wall of glazing to the Assembly chamber.

Interestingly, the Foster website does not include the More London masterplan as an example of the practice's work.

Have you seen Hugh Pearman's article on City Hall? I have a similar feeling that it is a second rate building, using design leftovers from the contemporary Reichstag project.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: