Sunday 4 February 2001 5.45pm
The Elephant and Castle, immediately south of the Metropolitan Tabernacle
, is the site of the old St. Mary Newington church with its burial ground. There is a list of rectors going back to 1212. The church was pulled down in 1876 but the graveyard remained until at least the 1950's. The present church of St. Mary Newington in Kennington Park Road is on a new site, further south and on the other side of the road.