A question for loftman

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Ignorance
Thursday 4 July 2002 1.08pm

If your job as an estate agent was to act for the vendor of a property (as indeed it was, they pay you), then how do you justify keeping a property under wraps, and only showing it to a favoured customer who is nice to you? Surely the best way to generate the best result for your vendor is to encourage lots of interest and end up with lots of offers, sealed bids etc.

If you only show the property to people who are nice to you, then I should think that the vendor would have a strong case for accusing you of acting in the purchaser's best interest, and an opportunity to sue you.
Peter
Thursday 4 July 2002 5.00pm
You have selected your pseudonym well..get with reality my friend.

How would a vendor in a million years ever know, or be able to prove that an estate agent had (inappropriately) only shown their property to selective clients?

How would you argue against the view that those clients were targeted because they were the most suitable and likely to proceed as well as being nice?

You are wrong about your conclusion. 30 general buyers does not necessarily generate that many offers, 5 good n'ready buyers with good viewing availability matched to the property could generate more offers and get the property sold without delay.

Loftman is dishing the inside, don't waste time wishing you were living in PC-topia. The level of integrity you are seeking doesn't exist in most commerce.

P.S. Done any suing recently, thought not because you would have lost your internet access when you had to sell off your computer?
the loft man
Thursday 4 July 2002 8.40pm
Ignorance - I think it is about time that you actually read and listened to what everyone like Peter is telling you. YOU KNOW NOTHING. I would like to qualify and reply to everything you have raised, but I would prefer to chop my ears off with a blunt spoon.

Needless to say your comment on the other discussion page about PLASTER WAS INVENTED FOR EXPOSED BRICKWORK, nearly bought me to my knees with laughter. I have forwarded your comments to 250 architects, 1,000's of other 'loft dwellers' in London and 'The Society for prevention of cruelty to Inglenook Fire Places'.

Plaster was invented for those lovers of Barratt Homes, PVC, Nylon and Chips with everything. Long live polished concrete!!
christian
Friday 5 July 2002 8.38am
well said peter
Ignorance
Friday 5 July 2002 3.37pm
Dear loftman

I admit to being ignorant and seeking advice, I always have done. I have been fascinated by your comments and wished I'd been able to read them months ago. However I still don't understand how refusing to let a potential purchaser see a property is of benefit to your vendor.

(By the way, Peter, as a member of a profession, it's a risk I wouldn't like to take; being struck off isn't much fun! Estate agents are not traders, they're members of a profession, and they're handling somebody else's property as agent, not their own. That's when you have to be much more careful and integrity becomes much more important.)

Good to see you are a sucker for fashion. Plaster has been used on townhouses for the last 200? 300? years. (Lets just ignore inglenook fireplaces in ancient rambling country pubs for the moment.) Exposed brickwork was a fashion introduced by lazy architects and builders in the 90s, and very popular it has proved too. Marvellous.

Problem is, it's a fashion (like open plan kitchens, lofts, dotcom shares etc.) and like all fashions it will have its day. Then you'll all be getting in builders to plaster over your bare brick walls, much as those who modernised their 'horrid, inefficient' wooden sash windows with uPVC double glazing have been forced to modernise back to 'traditional' sash windows.

You're welcome to your bare walls, good luck to you. Keep the economy turning when you decide to plaster them. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Of course your hundreds of architect friends will love the bare walls, but I'm sure they loved uPVC double glazing when that was first invented and wouldn't have dared let you modernise your house without ripping out the sash windows.

Meanwhile, I'm off home for the weekend to enjoy going up and down my staircase, and to change the colour of my walls (tricky that, with brick) and then mow the lawn. Have a good weekend.
Friday 5 July 2002 3.59pm
Estate agency isn't a profession, surely?
Ignorance
Sunday 7 July 2002 11.05am
Aren't they members of the Institute of Chartered Surveyors thus making them members of a profession.
Monday 8 July 2002 9.39am
Nope, that just makes them members of an association, a profession indicates a long period of accademic study has been undertaken. They're just salesmen as far as I'm aware.
Ignorance
Monday 8 July 2002 3.19pm
try http://www.rics.org.uk to see evidence that may make you change your mind.

Isn\'t everybody who works, in some way or other, a salesman?
Monday 8 July 2002 4.42pm
Hmmm, I'm not sure that forming a professional body means you are a professional - what's the definition? Not so sure it matters anyway as it's only a point of order at best and I'm just being pendantic anyway. However, maybe the difference between these and the 'true' professions such as doctor, lawyer, teacher and a couple of others I can't think of but am sure exist - is that these professions don't involve sales (although I'm sure I'm about to get on lawyers but then I'm not talking about firms of ambulance chasers).

Maybe that's a problem in society as our most respected professions become debased - I'm talking about the ambulance chaser lawyers now but still you'd expect the above all to be honest of character and you can't say that about estate agents can you?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: