Eddie Grundy scrumps SE1 idea!!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 30 September 2004 1.50pm
I don't know whether we should be proud or miffed, but any of the SE1 regulars who listened to last night's edition of the little slice of life that is The Archers would have gasped when they heard Joe Grundy suggesting to his son Eddie that (instead of making their scrumpy themselves as they do every year) they get together with people in the village and form “a cider club, like in the old days”.

The premise of the cider club is that people (“our friends and neighbours, Eddie”) all get together at a farm to make the cider, and get together again at a later date to drink it).

Doesn't this sound a little too familiar????

I would welcome any advice as to how much compensation we should be claiming for this blatant theft of our idea. It would come in handy when paying for this year's apples.

I would also like to give notice that I'll be calling some of my cider “Borsetshire Beauty” (in hommage to Eddie's “novel” idea that, rather than using mixed apples of all sorts, they should press up a single varietal cider made from their local apple variety.

(Anyone who was involved in a matter of life and death last night at 7pm and missed this episode can listen again via the Radio 4 website)

[edited to add that I have no conection with the Grundy family]

...if you press it, they will come.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 30 September 2004 4.59pm by Ivanhoe.
Friday 1 October 2004 8.38am
Maybe you've got an Archers scriptwriter lurking on the SE1 forum somewhere! Or maybe they just searched online for the subject of cider making? This forum shows up 13th in the list when you search google for 'making cider' and second when you then limit the domain to .uk
Friday 1 October 2004 8.56am
Actually, maybe this is an example of paranoia rather than coincidence? We could therefore link this thread to that on paranoia. Since I've been reading recently that the video and music industry has been linking the flogging of dodgy pirate copies of films and albums to the funding of global terrorism, it is now clear to me that Eddie Grundie is a terrorist mastermind, planning to fund his evil-doing through flogging dodgy rotgut masquerading as cider, and should be locked up in Belmarsh immediately.

At least that way we'd be spared listening to Clarie going 'Oh Eddieeee' ever again.
Friday 1 October 2004 9.44am
'Hello you two!'

ok it's true! my cover has been blown, I work for BBC Radio four as a scriptwriter for the Archers!
Friday 1 October 2004 10.45am
Oh...I thought one of you were going to admit to being Eddie Grundy. How disapppointing. I was looking forward to a cow horn hat turning up to the next social!
Friday 1 October 2004 12.05pm
l'air du temps.
Friday 1 October 2004 12.24pm
The team should never have ventured north of the river to discuss cider making at the Wenlock.

All of those so-called cider and real ale drinkers were of course north London meejah types who have heard that Japanese lager is sooooo 2003, and were desperate to get a feel for the zeitgeist.

Monday 4 October 2004 11.40am
Andrew wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or maybe they just
> searched online for the subject of cider making?
> This forum shows up 13th in the list when you
> search google for 'making cider' and second when
> you then limit the domain to .uk

Isn't that GREAT!!!! And we haven't even made any yet.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: