Stop the congestion charging scheme

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 5 July 2002 8.49am
Are you against Ken's congestion charging scheme?
Do you drive into north Bermondsey, or north Lambeth every day and think that 5 is too much to pay?
Do you live on the new zone boundary: Tower Bridge Road or Kennington Lane and think that the extra traffic is going to make your life a misery?
Come and protest on Monday morning at Kennington Cross (that's the junction of Kennington Road and Kennington Lane - nearest tube Kennington, buses 3, 159, 59, 322)
http//www.maporama.com/share/Map.asp?MapID=F7DD83D2%2DDCA1%2D452D%2DA547%2DF3C6A3B5A851&PDT=mapomap
demo is from 7am onwards. we will be blocking the road in a protest at 8am. Call Mark on 07866 369181 for more details.
And no, we are not against congestion charging - we think it's a good idea, but we think the zone boundary should be the river. It's mad that Bermondsey Antiques Market costs a fiver to visit but you can drive to Harrods for nothing.
Friday 5 July 2002 11.49am
So what you are saying is your not against a congestion charge as long as the boundary is not near your house?

May I suggest that instead of organising a protest you move house instead - anyone know any good estate agents?
pedestrian
Friday 5 July 2002 1.13pm
This is the situation: nobody wants the boundary to be near them. As I live well within the proposed zone, it will greatly reduce the traffic around me, whereas moving the boundary over the river would mean my street would become even more congested as people crawl round looking for parking. I almost signed the petition on Lower Marsh, and greatly agree with much of it- Kennington Lane is already blighted by traffic- but this is a situation where the great and the good need to take a broader view, and not pander to local interest groups.
Ian
Friday 5 July 2002 3.27pm
does anyone know what the score is with paying if you live within the zone? I live within the boundary and have heard lots of different versions of what I'm going to be expected to pay/not pay, but I've not seen anything official?
Friday 5 July 2002 3.40pm
See <a href="http://www.london.gov.uk/approot/mayor/congest/">www.london.gov.uk/approot/mayor/congest/</a> - residents of the central zone get a 90 per cent discount on the 5 charge
Friday 5 July 2002 6.48pm
Whilst I am in general agreement with the Mayor's congestion charge, I think it is very cheeky to charge 10% of the annual fee to residents inside the zone plus 10 for administration . We already have to pay Southwark Council for a Residents Parking Permit (which I understand is one of the highest in London) and we have to pay extra for a Resident Visitors Parking Permit if we have guests or for trades people. People outside the zone do not have to pay for this or to go about their everyday business i.e shopping, leisure, and general visiting so why should those inside the zone have this extra cost?
Monday 8 July 2002 5.53pm
I think the paper based system is ill-thought out and demonstrates Ken stupidity once again - the rush to get something in place has meant he has ruled out some great technology based systems that would take longer to install, but would cost less in the long run, generate greater revenues for the city and better manage traffic flows. Singapore is a great example of how traffic flow is regulated by variable pricing. Red Ken's fixed price charging does NOTHING to curb marginal use - once I've bought my weekly pass (which I get discounted as I live in the Zone) it will work out cheaper than a daily pass (which I can't get discounted). So I am going to go nuts, driving round aimlessly dressed up as one of the Wacky Racers.

If there's another demo planned, let us know. I'm fed up with Livingstone's bluster.
Monday 8 July 2002 10.57pm

Hey - easy solution - get a bike - save money and get fitter!

You know it makes sense.
Monday 8 July 2002 10.59pm
Have one already. Funny thing is, I've really been struggling moving a chest of drawers on it, and my dog really hates getting on the back to go for walks in the country. Any suggestions. A trailer perhaps?
Tuesday 9 July 2002 3.29pm
In case you are unable to sign the Petition forms that are available around Kennington until 20th July, it is also possible to sign it on line.

Go to:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/173712231
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: