Brindisa Tapas Bar

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 11 October 2004 5.31pm
I went to the new tapas bar on Borough High Street on Saturday and was fairly disappointed. The food was very good I must admit (although could have been hotter) but the menu seemed incredibly short for a tapas bar, leaving not much choice and me spending much less than would normally do. Also, the bar operates a policy of random staggering of the dishes which whilst it seemed like a good idea, didnt work too well when the last two dishes we received were potatos with bread (in spite of me asking the waitress to 'stagger' the bread first!).

Also, the layout was less than perfect, it is split into a restaurant and a bar area, but in the bar area there were three high tables but only four seats which seemed a little odd. This was especially annoying as the restaurant area is a tobacco facist non-smoking fun free zone.

Having said that the food/wine was good so will probably give it another go. Any one else been yet?
Tuesday 12 October 2004 9.30am
Where is it on Bororugh High Street??
Sal
Tuesday 12 October 2004 10.41am
It's on the corner of the market opposite the Southwark Tavern.
Tuesday 12 October 2004 10.55am

i might pop in tonight - they have literally just opened so i hope it improves!

By the way - if anyone from Brindisa is lurking, I am prepared to spend ENORMOUS amounts of money on your food. I am dying for a decent place around here to spend huge wodges of cash on yum tapas.

I do not go to the place on the cut (which I cannot even bring my self to name) because their food is average, their wine is poor and their service rude. I hope that Brindisa will be different. I know people say the rude staff (in the aforementioned unmentionable place) make it 'authentic' but that isn't my experience of any of the tapas I have had in Spain (where the staff are normally v. friendly) and, even if it was, I don;t think it is acceptable here in London (bastion of the civilised world), etc etc rant rant rant...

(going for a sit down and a cup of tea now)
Tuesday 12 October 2004 1.22pm
Have you tried Mar y Terra? http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/view.php?venueid=49

Personally I think this is one of the best Tapas bars that I've been to, and they do seem to stock things from Brindisa (those nice little green peppers and the slightly nobbly almonds). They are also very friendly and relaxed.

Keith
Jac
Tuesday 12 October 2004 4.13pm
I like Mar i Terra too excellent wine and great food. Im looking forward to trying Brindisa Tapas bar in the next couple of weeks (Have to put it off until then as I have used up my baby sitting quota) so hopefully by then any glitches are ironed out. Whilst I love Mar i Terra Brindisa is less far to stagger home.
Tuesday 12 October 2004 4.15pm

I might try Mar i terra - sounds yummy.
Tuesday 12 October 2004 4.16pm
Best in Summer. Nice little garden

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 October 2004 2.27pm
Thanks to everyone who has come to visit the bar and taken the time to post comments here. Tapas Brindisa has just opened on the 8th October so it is great to hear feedback so soon. We are glad you have been enjoying the food (the menu will change regularly as well as having a number of daily specials) and we are improving all those elements you mention (and more!) as we speak. We hope that it will become a regular haunt for you all in Borough.
Claire, Brindisa.
Monday 18 October 2004 2.57pm
I have to say that the food is great and the service good but the prices are ridiculous. I have never, ever seen tapas that are 6 each. I had the salt cod (bacallao I think it is in Spanish) and this, whilst very nice, was 6 for two small pieces of cod. In contrast, the 1.50 tapas on the bread (I had lovely sardines and one with pate) were really cheap I thought.

I just can't compute the pricing range which, also, I thought was complex for the customer.

We had 3 or 4 tapas each and two of us had a couple of glasses of wine and I thought that a bill of 60 was too much for Tapas. I realise that this is purely my opinion but for 20 a head, I can go to a gastro-pub and have a full two course meal with a glass of wine.

I also thought that 2 for a small bowl of olives at the bar creates an interesting first impression for a customer.

I am honestly not a cheap-skate person, I spend loads of money on food each week. However, I always consider Tapas to be a fairly informal food choice where you can get together for a drink and have a few nice nibbles. When this moves to the 20 per head range it sort of changes the format somewhat.

Anyway, I did enjoy my night there, just not sure I'll return.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: