moving to long lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 July 2002 6.36pm
Hi All

I'm moving to long lane at the start of september; any tips on the general area? is it rough? what are the best pubs within walking/staggering distance?
Tuesday 9 July 2002 11.19pm
I moved from there 20 years ago it was safe and clean. I would not bother now rose Forget it.
Wednesday 10 July 2002 10.04am
Rosie, if you moved away 20 years ago how can you know what it is like to live in the area now?

Long Lane is one of those areas which is very mixed, there's a lot of warehouse conversions along with the local authority blocks and some new build. It's changed a lot in the 12 years I've lived in the area and like any other area in London, you need to keep your wits about you but if you bear this in mind it's pretty safe.

Pubs worth visiting are The Britannia on Kipling Street, Simon The Tanner on Long Lane and The Leather Exchange on Leathermarket Street - all are owned by the same people and very friendly, good food etc. The Hand & Marigold on the south end of Bermondsey Street has a good juke box, lock-ins and local colour.

Welcome to SE1!
Wednesday 10 July 2002 6.03pm
easy about the lock-ins
welcome to SE1
Wednesday 10 July 2002 8.45pm
Hi Sarah.

Although I moved a long time ago I am a frequent visitor. My sister lives in Grange Road. I have been to all the pubs you mention of old times and of new. You been down East Lane recently. Have you read the Southwark news. or South London Press. Muggings and Murders.
no its not until you move away you know what a lucky escape you had.
If you like bars on your doors and windows you can keep em. I like the feedom of walking and not worrying, no bars, no double locks.
Anyway every one to their own.
Bye for now
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.06pm
Calm down Rosie you'll scare the girl off.
Every City in the UK has its bad areas, so where are you suggesting people move away too??!!
Like Sarah said, in southwark you've got to keep your wits about you at night, but apart from that its a pretty safe area.
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.08pm
and at about 12 midnight Longlane is usually littered with prostitutes (not that I use them or anything)!
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.18pm
I must stop walking home after work.and charge more.
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.27pm
I must start walking home more
Thursday 11 July 2002 6.19pm
Hi William.

I think the others have answered for me. Lady of the night is gonna start charging LOL and dave is gonna start walking LOL. I hope Rose enjoys her new life in Long Lane. It will be interesting to know how long she stays. Where are you coming from Rose. And William how long you been there.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: