Redevelopment of Bermondsey Market buildings.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 October 2004 9.49am
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew about any plans to develop the buildings next to Tanner's Yard at the end of Long Lane. I know there's a huge redevelopment of the square that's about to commence but I don't know whether these include these buildings. Could anyone enlighten me?
Wednesday 13 October 2004 10.38am
I enquired into this development with Urban Catalyst and apparently planning permission has been given and its scheduled for completion by Aumtum 2006.

Wednesday 13 October 2004 11.05am
Thanks for that Chris. Do you know what they have planned for that site?
Wednesday 13 October 2004 11.18am
I hope it's a GastroWaitrose

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 October 2004 11.37am
This is the link to the Urban Catalyst site detailing the development, however there are no details as to the exact businesses that will be opening there. Fingers crossed for something good.... ;-)

Friday 15 October 2004 1.24pm
Southwark Council has approved plans for a 150,000 sq ft 36 million regeneration scheme at Bermondsey Square, which is being developed in partnership with Urban Catalyst.

Designed by Munkenbeck & Marshall architects, the scheme will provide approximately 45,000 sq ft of residential space and accommodation for a local film production and art house cinema company. Bermondsey Square will be remodelled to provide enhanced facilities for the famous antiques market, and for use at night as an open air cinema or theatre.

Bermondsey Square is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and incorporates ruins of the 10th century Bermondsey Abbey. This rich history will be marked through the commissioning of public artwork for the main square.

The development is being funded by Igloo Regeneration Partnership, part of Morley Fund Management. Work is intended to start on site in Autumn 2004 with completion scheduled for early 2006.

Original link
Friday 15 October 2004 2.20pm
You're right paulh - it is a scheduled ancient monument. I hope they've applied for scheduled monument consent before attempting to gain planning permission.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: