Blue Lion Place - contaminated land?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 October 2004 9.35am
Hi

I've just had an offer accepted on a flat in Blue Lion Place, just off Long Lane, however the local environmental search carried out by my solicitor has revealed that the land might be "contaminated" due to the fact that in it's previous life this building was a leatherworks. Chemicals were obviously used during the leather making process and it's thought that these could have leaked into the ground rendering it contaminated.

I'm wondering if anyone who's currently living in Blue Lion Place or who knows about this property has any further information regarding this and could provide some insight as to whether there is a problem or not?

Many thanks,
Chris
Wednesday 13 October 2004 10.40am
news to me on the land but the whole area was engaged in the leather trade so it would not be a surprise. It has been used as a factory for some time and the leather industry went quite a while ago i understand.

You might be interested in a thread called Blue lion 1950's factory which i would link if i knew how regarding past use of the building and propsed further development on the site.
Wednesday 13 October 2004 11.17am

Much of SE1, particularly the bits close to the river are either reclaimed land and/or had previous contaminative uses on them.

Not much of an issue if you are in a flat - more an issue for a developer who has to be careful to deal with the issue on building on the site.

Regards,

Loafer

Wednesday 13 October 2004 11.39am
Dee's quite right - I would be worried if I intended to grow vegetables / garden etc., I was told the main ingredient for soaking the skins in the barrels was dog poo?...if the barrels were broken after we jumped on them,( there were loads on the ground of Leathermarket gardens as I recall..) we used to get sticks and poke the slimey contents...I aint dead yet!
Wednesday 13 October 2004 12.29pm

I read in that perfume book (much overrated) about the poo-soaking, i suppose it might be more enviro friendly but pretty hellish disgusting too.
Wednesday 13 October 2004 12.54pm
I was reading about this recently, too. People used to collect dog poo from the streets to sell to the tanneries - they were called Pure Finders (or Gatherers or Pickers). Eugh.
Wednesday 13 October 2004 1.20pm
In the true spirit of enterprise....imagine going up to a dog owner who's pooch had pooed on the pavement..a p p p day!..asking if resultant heap could be collected by your goodself!.... or manufacture doggie draws!
Wednesday 13 October 2004 2.07pm
There's gold in them thaar, er, hills!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: