68 Bus Route Change down Princess Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 July 2002 9.42am
Has anyone on Princess Street or in Peronnet House noticed that to relieve congestion on the Elephant & Castle roundabout the no.68 bus is going to be rerouted down Princess Street for a 6 month trial period?

This means that Peronnet House will now, effectively, be in the middle of a bus roundabout.

God knows it's noisy enough as it is without rerouting a bus down the narrow street with tight corners onto which all our bedrooms face.

I have my doubts about it being a trial period as some fairly major engineering work seems to be going onto widen the street at either end for corner-turning.

The flimsy A4 notice of works was attached to a lampost - I only noticed it the other day. Apparantly the date for petition has now passed - 28 June.

Is this just one of those things we have to lie down and take or does anyone have experience with dealing with these things - who to approach/how to go about it??
Wednesday 10 July 2002 10.31am
See <a href="http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/bp_making_your_bus_service_better.shtml">www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/bp_making_your_bus_service_better.shtml</a>
Monday 15 July 2002 10.33am
No no no Katie: you've got this all wrong. Princess Street is being closed to through traffic (as you must have seen by now). the buses are being rerouted in a contraflow lane up London Road. So it means less traffic round Perronet House, not more, and it'll be safer for all of us.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: