Crazy Man On Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 19 October 2004 8.50am
Did anyone else see yesterday (18th oct) the man who had climbed upon one of the arms of tower bridge, i hear he was there from about 12pm and when i looked out my window about 7pm he was gone, i did pop up there and see that he had attached a note to a post that said.

''I am fighting for my rights and yours''

''the british public deserve to know why I am up here''

I think he only took up 2 bits of paper to write on and must have run out of room, anyone know what he was trying to tell us about?
Monday 25 October 2004 9.58am
Hiya - we saw him too! Don't know what he was doing there but he looked like he was snuggling down in his sleeping bag and being watched by the rozzers. We were on the balcony at the top of the City Hall (the egg) building and I managed to cunningly get a shot of him by pointing my trusty camera through the telescope. Would be great to find out what happened to him. Have you tried looking on newspaper websites? RJ
Tuesday 26 October 2004 2.38pm
well im glad someone else had seen him, I was thinking I had posted the thread on the wrong site lol

no I couldnt find any info on the man, so your guess is as good as mine

how was city hall does anyone recommend it, do u have to walk all the way up?

I pass it about 3 or 4 times a day but never ventured in

cheers
Tuesday 26 October 2004 3.53pm
AntonyPearce24 wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how was city hall does anyone recommend it, do u
> have to walk all the way up?
>
> cheers

See http://www.london.gov.uk/gla/city_hall/city_hall_publicaccess.jsp

Although you can get into the lobbies and as far as the second floor Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, opening hours for public access to the upper bits of the building are very erratic.

There are also weekend openings, when they normally guarantee that you can get up to the top floor "London's Living Room. Expectation is that people will walk up the ramp through the building, but I think anyone can use the lift if they prefer due to mobility problems.

Next openings are:
Saturday 6 November 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 7 November 10.00 - 17.00
Saturday 4 December 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 5 December 10.00 - 17.00

I spent the whole of my last visit complaining (to anyone who would listen) about the cheapness and nastiness of the detailing of the building as compared to the same architects' refit of the Berlin Reichstag.
Wednesday 27 October 2004 9.44am
The man on Tower Bridge was one of the Fathers 4 Justice nutters (sorry, legitimate protesters).

As you can see by the fact that hardly anyone knows why the man was on Tower Bridge, Fathers 4 Justice really are getting their message across!
It was fascinating reading about Jason Hatch, the cheeky-chappy who stood on the Buck-House balcony dressed as Batman. Acres upon acres of newspaper coverage was devoted to the security implications of his stunt, whereas the issues surrounding estranged fathers' access to their children was largely forgotten. Bizarrely enough, F4J haven't quite cottoned on to the plain fact that, if they wish to get their message across, their form of protests should at least have some relevance to their cause.

Regarding City Hall: Agree entirely with the cheapness of the detailing of the building. Compared to the splendid "artists impressions" of the building prior to it being built, what we've ended up with is quite an ugly monstrosity. Also, "London's Living Room" was originally supposed to be open all the time to the public. Somewhere along the line this got forgotten for the sake of "security"...
Monday 8 November 2004 11.23am
Martin Underwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The man on Tower Bridge was one of the Fathers 4
> Justice nutters (sorry, legitimate protesters).
>
> As you can see by the fact that hardly anyone
> knows why the man was on Tower Bridge, Fathers 4
> Justice really are getting their message across!
> It was fascinating reading about Jason Hatch,
> the cheeky-chappy who stood on the Buck-House
> balcony dressed as Batman. Acres upon acres of
> newspaper coverage was devoted to the security
> implications of his stunt, whereas the issues
> surrounding estranged fathers' access to their
> children was largely forgotten. Bizarrely enough,
> F4J haven't quite cottoned on to the plain fact
> that, if they wish to get their message across,
> their form of protests should at least have some
> relevance to their cause.
>
> Regarding City Hall: Agree entirely with the
> cheapness of the detailing of the building.
> Compared to the splendid "artists impressions" of
> the building prior to it being built, what we've
> ended up with is quite an ugly monstrosity. Also,
> "London's Living Room" was originally supposed to
> be open all the time to the public. Somewhere
> along the line this got forgotten for the sake of
> "security"...

I'd agree about the building.... have you noticed how cheap the London living room floor looks?
It's just that a lot of the stuff being built in the UK these days is not up to the best standards (sorry, just my humble opinion as a foreigner).... even my "luxury" flat has cheap materials - e.g. cheap, poorly fitted wood behind the massive granite workspace in the kitchen, sealing coming loose in the bathroom etc....
On the positive side though, I have to say that the whole area including More London looks great.... you'd never find the same atmosphere and view in provincial Berlin!

cheers

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: