Bermondsey Triangle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 19 October 2004 1.00pm
Can anyone please tell whereabouts, exactly, this is / used to be? I've come across the phrase a few times now and am curious.

Tuesday 19 October 2004 1.23pm
I'm not sure this is what the estate agents want to hear...

>Big criminals have many associates, but few have careers like that of George Francis, spanning 55 years and “associations” ranging from the Krays to Frankie Fraser, the Great Train Robbers and the Brink's-Mat thieves. “My old man was a villain and I hope my kids grow up to be villains,” Francis said. “I would rather die quickly by the bullet than slowly in some old people's home that stinks of cabbage water.” Three weeks later, on May 14 this year, Francis was shot four times in the head as he got out of his car in Lynton Road, Bermondsey. The area is also known as the Bermondsey Triangle as it's said to have a higher concentration of villains than anywhere in Britain.

Nick Barlay, The Times, 16 August 2003,,7433-775486,00.html

However, in Googling for that press story, I was intrigued to find that there is a Science Fiction "essay" from 1977 - The Bermondsey Triangle Mystery by Bob Shaw
Tuesday 19 October 2004 1.38pm

Which other streets, apart from Lynton, make up the area / triangle??
Tuesday 19 October 2004 2.03pm
is it like a dairylea triangle?
Tuesday 19 October 2004 2.08pm
Maybe the "Bermondsey Triangle" is where all our post goes......
Thursday 21 October 2004 8.18am
Why didn't this come up on the local authority search when I bought my house in Alma Grove last year? Maybe Southwark council should provide a 'gangster rating' for propspective home buyers!!

My neighbour (very old, slightly bonkers) constantly tells me that the area is 'teaming with criminals, drug dealers and peadophiles' but after being there a year, I've not seen any trouble or criminal activity whatsoever.

Does anyone know if/ how you can look at crime statistics by postcode?

Thursday 21 October 2004 10.02am lets you view crime statistics by postcode and compares them to the national average. Not sure if it's very accurate, but should give you an idea.
Thursday 21 October 2004 10.10am
I've lived here on the edge of the Bermondsey Triangle for 20 years or so and have never seen any reason for fear of crime. I've had cars broken into but that seems to happen all over town. It seems no worse here than anywhere else. I still love it.
Thursday 21 October 2004 10.11am
You can also view neighbourhood statistics on the national statistics website, but the crime ones are at a borough level only, I think.

Thursday 21 October 2004 11.31am
Surely if the area is where lots of criminals live, then it'll have the lowest actual crime figures, and be the safest place to live. I would imagine that most criminals don't commit crimes in their own neighbourhood. I've lived in/near to the area for 3 years and don't feel threatened at all.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: