TfL vandalises Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 17 July 2002 9.37am
What has poor tired dusty old Bermondsey Square done to deserve FOUR CCTV cameras on a great big black pole? It may say "Transport for London" on the manhole covers and control cabinet, but I wonder if TfL is aware that the square is will be closed to traffic under the new Urban Catalyst development scheme (going for approval next month)? Did TfL clear their excavations with English Heritage?

I suspect the cameras are in preparation for the arrival of Tony Robinson and the Time Team. The student volunteers have already started digging for arrow heads.

Anyway, doesn't TfL realise that any decent video equipment will be down at the car boot sale by the weekend? This is Bermondsey after all.
Wednesday 17 July 2002 9.45am
They are probably cameras for the congestion charge

Is Time Team really coming to Bermondsey Square?
Wednesday 17 July 2002 9.54am
Hi James. I wouldn't have thought of that (wink, wink).

The poles, the holes and the work experience kids are for real, no sign of Channel 4 yet.

UC says this is an exploratory dig lasting 5 weeks to see where it is safe to dig the foundations of the new development. I don't quite understand why they want to dig a hole in the middle of The Rose garden, though.
Matthew
Wednesday 17 July 2002 4.31pm
The cameras (black, 2 facing one direction half way up the pole, and another on top that can pan, tilt etc) are for the congestion charging, as you can see them on any road road the boundary (like on Tanner Street, behind the Travel Inn). I never saw any planning application for them though!
Wednesday 17 July 2002 10.41pm
Without wishing to appear boastful, Bermondsey Square has THREE cameras half way up the pole plus the one on top. Just no traffic (may be the system is working already!).

And I thought this was going to be Bermondey's entry for the world pole-standing record.
Thursday 18 July 2002 6.43am
Will Ken be a contestant? standing aloft so he can keep an eye (or two!) on his new office!

I wonder what happens if the scheme is declared illegal, will the public funds be refunded? I keep reminding people about the petrol rationing coupons printed about ten years ago, they look blank when I mention it and think I am referring to the war years ( I had no car then, and no teeth, nothing alters!)

The coupons were printed at great cost then never used.... will it be the same for cameras I wonder, unless they leave them in situ to be used against street robbery etcc.,?
Friday 19 July 2002 1.26pm
You will have to nail Ken to the perch to stop him from slithering off.

Hey! Petrol rationing! My mum used to distribute petrol coupons during WW II. Used to store them in the wash house, until someone pointed out that she had over a million pounds worth lying around in tea chests.
Friday 19 July 2002 3.24pm
If ken did nothing about traffic in London we would all want to stick his head on the end of the (now sadly missing) poles at London Bridge. The problem with the scheme is always going to be the boundary, and without complicating matters to the point where no one understands the rules I don't see a way around this.

The area around Bermondsey Street is not suitable for large amounts of traffic. However it is also still an Employment Zone according to the UDP and possesses light industry and storage, which will continue to need access into the congestion charging area.

The thing that always amazes me is new residents moving to a flat in the area and although they specifically bought a property with no parking space permitted, they expect to own a car and park it somewhere in the area. I bet a lot of these people are moaning about the congestion charges more than anyone else.

Has anyone got any better ideas to reducing traffic in SE1?
Friday 19 July 2002 4.30pm
i sold \'em..petrol vouchers,earnt meself a nice few bob for me zoot soot.
Friday 19 July 2002 7.10pm
I think the boundaries should be zonal, reflecting the current bus zones, and the charges should be structured in a similar way to tube fares, so the further you travel in the charge zone the more you pay.

Hopefully this would deter people from driving to the edge of the congestion zone and then switching to public transport.

What about taxis and mini-cabs - do they have to pay?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: