Red Bridges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 11 November 2004 10.08am
hi all

you have probably noticed that the bridges along the thames and the millenium wheel have all turned red, this is due to poppy day / week / month,

anyway just wanted you to know that at around 6pm tonight a few old army aircraft are going to fly along the thames and when it reaches around waterloo bridge they are going to drop loads of poppys, should be quite a pictrure to watch.
Thursday 11 November 2004 12.26pm
As we reported on this site yesterday

I noticed that they were testing the searchlights etc last night.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 November 2004 12.27pm by James Hatts.
Thursday 11 November 2004 1.13pm
Yes - I think they were still going at about 11.30pm - it looks like there's about 6 or 8, coming from three or four different sites. Some of the red lighting and poppy projections were up too.

My has let me go early tonight so I'm going to scoot along to Westminster bridge to watch the drop.
th
Thursday 11 November 2004 3.51pm
Oh that's what the searchlights were for...I was wondering last night why they were turning from white to red...
Friday 12 November 2004 9.56am
Did anyone actually see any of the petals?

I was on Blackfriars Bridge and I didn't see any.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 12 November 2004 10.33am
James, I assume the petals were dropped at the end of the fly past, because there were none over London Bridge - and quiet a few people left a bit puzzled. Tower Bridge looked good and when the planes lights appeared over it there was a brief buzz of anticipation - I suspect some were hoping they would zoom low over the bridges, but they were quite high and difficult to see in detail. No doubt the best view was at the end of the run, in the searchlights.

Given that one of the objectives was to boost the sale of poppies, I was surprised that the charity did not take advantage of the gatherings on the bridge to put some volunteers there.
Friday 12 November 2004 10.33am
nothing happened at tower bridge, but luckily the planes did fly over 3 times

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: