Southwark Cathedral's annoying bells

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 12 November 2004 5.40pm
I don't know about others living close to the the Borough Market but I find the church bells tolling for a non stop 2 hours in the early hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings quite annoying...
Friday 12 November 2004 5.52pm
Personally, I'm with the people who think if you don't like bells, don't move next to a cathedral.

I don't hear the Southwark Cathedral bells, but I'm right next door to another church in SE1 which does pretty much the same thing (on Sundays).

You might be interested to see the last time this was discussed.
Friday 12 November 2004 5.53pm
It's no use hiding under that username, Bridget Jones, we know about you and your hangovers!

See this previous thread for the view of a rather larger number of of locals:
Friday 12 November 2004 5.54pm
Siduhe's beaten me to it with her riposte!
Friday 12 November 2004 6.12pm
Sidhue, as you know I live near you - and I can't hear them - do you think I have superior double glazing or should I be worried about premature deafness. Having been in the market when the Cathedral bell ringers are going for it I can't believe St Georges could get anywhere near, insistant
Friday 12 November 2004 6.39pm
I wish I could hear the bells, I think church bells are a truely lovely sound and I grew up next door to a church and it is one of the few things i miss since moving to the city from the country many years ago.
Friday 12 November 2004 6.57pm

I sleep with my windows open...

And you're quite right - the bells aren't a patch on the occasional African (?) evangelistic funerals we get from 3am...
Friday 12 November 2004 7.05pm
I love the bells, my working hours are often livened by the bells of St. Lawrence Jewry. If you don't like them, don't live near churches.
Saturday 13 November 2004 9.55am
I can hear the clock of St George the Martyr and the hum of Guys hospital generators which are
clearly audible every night and on cold nights when the heating is full blast the hum is quite
loud although now I'm so used to it, it has just become part of the background. Last winter they
used a temporary mobile generator (massive) while maintenance was carried out and this
building was vibrating. Now that we all have double glazing I miss the re-assuring background humming.
Saturday 13 November 2004 10.02pm
I can still clearly hear the (irritating rather than reassuring) 'background' humming through the new double glazing. There's one bit of plant opposite me thats getting louder and louder and sounds like a car engine 24h a day. People have this idea that we shouldn't expect it to be quiet in SE1, as it never was. Well they are wrong, it was very quiet round here for the first 15 years I lived here. Yes its the lively city, and I wouldn't want to change that, but some noises are unnecessary, like badly maintained plant thoughtlessly located. Give me church bells any day.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: