Integrated & Slight 2nd Appliances

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 14 November 2004 4.14pm
Hi All, been pricing kitchen appliances for a while now as we've been redoing our kitchen and cannot find any companies that will give any reasonable discounts (Buy 1 GET 1 Half etc.) and all the "sales" we're seeing aren't exactly "sales." More like overpriced low quality items. As we need a new COOKER, HOB, EXTRACTOR, FRIDGE/FREEZER, WASHER, and DISHWASHER this is going to become quite pricey being that we need them in all at once in order to finish the kitchen. So we're in quite a bind. Does anyone know of any stores that either:

1. Offer reasonable deals if you purchase ALL of your appliances from them.
2. Offer BUY 1 GET 1 FREE or HALF.
3. Offer Slight Seconds.

I've had several looks on EBAY and many of the people offering reasonable prices are located 4 or 5 hours away. We're certainly willing to travel a few hours, but that's a bit too far.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks! :c)
Anonymous User
Monday 15 November 2004 9.02am
Try Howdens (just off the Old Kent Road, turn left by KFC).

It's a trade only joinery company but I believe it's quite easy to open a trade account &the discounts are huge - I got a 4.5K kitchen for a little over 2K including appliances.
Monday 15 November 2004 12.52pm
I go to places like Currys and try to get discount on display models etc. I once got 150 knocked off a washer dryer that had a huge scratch across the top and told the young assistant that it would not be going under a worktop.

You have to be a bit cheeky but it often works. Always try to speak to the manager or assistant manager. Other option is to find out where the council get them from when re-housing people - I am not sure as to the quality though.
Monday 22 November 2004 12.22am
Dunno where you get the idea that people moving into council places get appliances.

Currys etc can certainly be very cheap, especially if you get a special deal. One of the big downsides is that they're hopelessly unhelpful and difficult if you have any problem with the appliance or its delivery.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 November 2004 12.25am by The Unladylike Ms. Jo.
Monday 22 November 2004 12.34am
Bought a reconditioned (nearly new) washing machine from the Heart Foundation shop on Old Kent Rd 2 weeks ago. Much cheaper than shop prices & comes with 3 month guarantee. They usually have about 8 to choose from.
On another note, oven that I bought from Currys last Dec has broken & have been trying to get it fixed/replaced for past 2 months. Jo's right, they're useless!
Monday 22 November 2004 11.21pm
Until very recently, ALL my appliances were either found in skips or by bins, or were cast-offs from various friends and acquainances. The exception is my lovely 1950's (I think - may be 40's) cooker which I bought for 10. The most reliable and long-lasting have been the cast-off freebies. Skips were not bad too - I've had a series of fridges, none of which have had any problems whatever, but I've continually upgraded them when I've found a better one. My recently purchased brand-new appliances, however, have all broken down very quickly.
Tuesday 23 November 2004 10.02am
A good move might be to check the yr ends of the main appliance retailers (likely to be March/April, but some are December). Annual targets are often set on sales more than on profit margin, so you can get good discounts if you're prepared to bargain at the same time as they're under pressure to deliver sales.

(Birdie. Thanks for buying the kitchen. I work for the people who own Howdens)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 11.54am
Also large discounts are to be had in the John Lewis Clearance in January. I got a freezer from the Oxford Street branch for just over half price because it had lost its packaging (ie. new and unused, with instructions, but no original packaging - someone had bought it and unpacked it then realised it didn't fit). They deliver for free including Saturdays, and being John Lewis the aftersales care is excellent too.
Thursday 25 November 2004 10.09am

I can recommend Howdens too - that's where mine is coming from and (so far) it is looking good. Not a huge range to choose from though (didn't bother me).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: