New Flats - Decima Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Car
Sunday 14 November 2004 8.24pm
Hi all,

have just discovered this website and forum today!! It's been brilliant reading through some of the posts and i've finally found out how the pink tank got there!

I was just wondering what people think of the new flats on Decima Street? I pass it every day on the way to the bus stop and am constantly amazed that someone thought that pink render (of a shade i'm sure they called "salmon" in the 80's:-D) was a good choice!!! At least the other new block Tay Court used brick on the outside (albeit a completely different colour than anywhere else on the street) but that render is just plain nasty.

Car
Monday 15 November 2004 1.18pm
Sorry - don't know about the flats but which thread do I need to read to discover about the pint tank ? That's been puzzling me for ages.
Monday 15 November 2004 1.21pm
Try a search of the forum for pink tank...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
DSC
Monday 15 November 2004 5.39pm
Horrid rendering outside - and no great shakes inside either!

Went to have a look at one September-ish time (with the all-time most incompetent agent ever from Acorn - should anybody be thinking of registering with them, private message me for the name of the guy so you can avoid him) and the flats have meanly-proportioned rooms, low ceilings and the 'private roof terraces' are overlooked by your next door neighbours in the same building but also by all the flats next door..

(Eeek - suddenly thought - nobody who posts here bought it did they??)

Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.22pm
Mmmm ... live in the flats next door (though fortunately would have to hang precariously off our balcony to see offending glow of salmon pink) - have to say workmanship throughout build of flats was not over inspiring! And finish of flats doesn't look great too - there's an awful lot of them crammed into a small space so I'm not surprised rooms are small ... and where do you park???
Wednesday 24 November 2004 4.58pm
I hate that the development of every small scrap of local land is turned into a development of 14, 70m2 identical flats, and the two in Decima Street are worse than most. Tay Court in particular seems wholly overdeveloped for the area it occupies. The flat that runs along the alleyway to Long Lane cannot have a single room that is not clearly overlooked from the pavement. And not content from stuffing the maximum number of flats onto the site, the developer made sure it was badly built as well. I have not seen inside, but the standard of construction along the outside at ground level is so bad it is laughable. The windows are too small for the openings, and the 25mm gap between window and wall has been filled with a black sponge, the soffit is made of some sort of painted plywood and it has been cut and carved around several of the structural bolts from the steel above where they were installed at the wrong level, and the junction between the wall and the soffit is by a painted mild steel angle (ready to rust) which collects the rain running down the wall and directs it into the ceiling. - and this I noticed from just walking past , who knows what horrors there are on close inspection. It looks OK now but in five years time it will look terrible. And who then will want to live in a small, dark, tatty, and overlooked collection of flats. It upsets me sometimes that in all the progress we are making in all aspects of our quality of life, in the places we can eat or be entertained , the places we work, and the whole public environment, the quality of private housing that is considered acceptable remains so low.
Thursday 25 November 2004 11.23am
they will realise this when no-one buys these flats
Friday 26 November 2004 10.59am
see an article on the pink tank here:

http://www.aleksandramir.info/texts/gibbs.html

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: