What is going on with...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 November 2004 11.26am

...the Borough Market Floral Hall?

No-one seems to be doing any work on it. It looks finished. There is a small sign down near the entrance to the Cathedral from the Market Trustees looking for a tenant (although it looks to be a bit out of date).

The (pretty grim) website has the last update in the 'news' section as July 04, so no news there. I know that the Trustees were looking for a tenant as far back as two years ago. It seems a shame that it will be vacant until next year (maybe for a few years?)

What is happening? Anyone know?
Monday 15 November 2004 11.44am
Iqbal Wahhab (of The Cinnamon Club in Westminster) is opening a restaurant called Roast.

(As reported in the November issue of 'in SE1')

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 November 2004 11.48am by James Hatts.
Monday 15 November 2004 11.59am
Squaremeal last month: "Look forward to a January opening."

From a quick Google, it appears that the menu on offer will be previewed at "The Festive BBC Good Food Show" at Earls Court from 10-12 December.
Monday 15 November 2004 12.12pm

Thank you - i should of course have used se1 first before looking at their website :o)
Monday 15 November 2004 1.16pm
I understand there may [still] be some wrangles going on over the wording of leases for the cages in the hall which will be occupied by traders currently in the main market area. There also seems to be a general view that the rents being asked are excessive......the question "...so, when are you moving to the new position, then?" was met by hysterical laughter from one trader last week!
p.s - redbus, you're right - the web site is indeed grim and less than the market deserves

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 November 2004 1.19pm by janefs.
Monday 15 November 2004 4.21pm

Well, if I was a stallholder and making money from the Friday and Saturday markets - I would want to think that if the new stalls are going to cost me more then I want (preumably) to sell more stuff form them. But that may not necessarily be true - just because there are some new and shiny stalls doesn't mean that more people are going to buy my Spuds and carrots... So I can well understand the laughter.

I will still go for the best falafel in London.

And the nice spelt bread.

And the cheap Fruit and Veg from Elsey and B.

etc etc...
Monday 15 November 2004 4.56pm
There seems to be a growing feeling that whereas the market seems popular and is very crowded at certain times, a high proportion of the visitors are 'tourists' or just there to graze on the freebies [as Time Out once helpfully pointed out - it's possible to compile a free lunch from the samples.......]. No doubt, a number of traders have done very, very well, particularly those that have some media coverage, but they are not all on the gravy train - [excuse the bad pun]
Monday 15 November 2004 5.05pm

rumour has it that the pudding lady makes the most money.

not sure if it is true but i was told it once and I like passing on rumours. as to whether this rumours survives is a different matter altogether...
Monday 15 November 2004 7.41pm
You'd think that the biggest city of Europe would generate enough clientele to open the market everyday, which will make the rents more affordable and the market less of a tourist attraction. It will moreover increase the competetion, which will decrease prices of the merchandise.
Monday 15 November 2004 8.36pm
I spent a month in Paris a few years ago, and they have lots of tiny local markets which open in the morning until early afternoon, from which you can buy fab fresh fruit and veg. we could do similar. Elsey and Bent is open six days a week at Borough market - they seem to do OK.

by the way - that old rumour that the French can't cope with vegetarianism is plain rubbish - not only did I find restaurants v. happy to accomodate me, but that the French were very particular about what they eat and do not eat and very happy to go on at length about their own dietery peculiarities e.g. "I don't eat fish because... etc etc.." Perhaps that isn't the case outside Paris in smaller towns but then the same could be said here.

[sorry about rant - not even a veggy any more]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 November 2004 8.37pm by red bus.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: