What is going on with...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Jac
Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.00am
I think it would be fantastic if the market was open more than 2 days a week, I am sure locals and those working in the area would use it more when they acn pick up something yummy for tonights evening meal. I would use it for work too but it is no good buying food on saturday for a job on Monday or Tuesday, let alone latter in the week. I do feel the prices are a bit too steep though. I have been visiting many of the London Farmers markets for research for work and I was told told that Marylebone Farmers Market was good but expensive. Well it was excellent the best I visited so far but compared to Borough market it was not expensive at all. Next Sunday I am offf to visit Peckham Farmers market which should be interesting.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.09am
Though surely a market open more than a couple of days a week would necessarily lose the sense (if it hasn't already) that you are buying directly from the people who actually produce the stuff.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 November 2004 10.27am by James Hatts.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.24am
Exactly - many of the smaller producers / vendors need time to actually restock or make the stuff they are selling and many travel a considerable distance to be in Borough for 2 days. However, it is possible to shop for bread, cheese, coffee, veg, fruit, eggs and poultry there on any day of the week now.
Jac
Tuesday 16 November 2004 1.08pm
I disagree. It doesn't have to be the same traders there everyday. Canterbury has a farmers market either 6 or 7 days a week I can't remember which off hand. Which is held in the old train sheds. Surely if a city of that size can sustain a very sucessful market London can too.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 1.25pm
Jac,

Suggest it to the market trustees! Rumour has it they they need extra income after overspending on the Floral Hall and refurbishment.
Thursday 18 November 2004 2.09pm

...the traders could always employ some locals to man (or woman!) the stalls for them Monday-Thursday...

Regards,

Loafer
Friday 19 November 2004 2.52pm
Hi, I'm a stallholder at Borough market - we have experimented with midweek opening before, most notably on a Thursday.
However the simple fact is that we just don't make enough money on these days to justify it. Unless you are selling lunch food at lunchtime (which we don't) we generate little sales between 12 and 2, and the post-work crowd in the evenings are equally disinterested.

However Sunday is a possiblity at the moment - we have to get agreement from the Trustees first (and that is a battle in itself and another story).

From a consumer's point of view, I agree with the comments above questioning why we can't have a 7-day-a-week facility like in other European countrys - however a few reasons may be that a) indeed the lease for a stall is very high and unless subsidies come from Government (ha!), we have to be economical like any other business, and b) despite the fact the esteemed memebrs of this board are "food-friendly", it is still the case that the vast majority of consumers still ask for "a lager" at the pub, still buy their fish from Tesco, and still say they only like Chilean wine. That's not an overnight job...

Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network