Pilates

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 November 2004 1.38pm
I expect there'll be a thread somewhere about this - but any good and reasonably priced pilates classes in SE1 ... and, does it work?

Need to stop the expansion before it is too late!
Monday 15 November 2004 1.43pm
I go to Studio 74 ( http://www.studioseventyfour.co.uk/ ) but not as regularly as I should !

For myself, I don't find it has any impact on my weight at all (if I use my heart monitor, it doesn't even get up into the 135s, so no real cardio benefit either), but it is brilliant keeping my back and knees in working order and is a great stress reliever.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 November 2004 1.43pm by Siduhe.
Monday 15 November 2004 2.06pm
Don't do Pilates with the objective of losing weight - it is designed to align the body and strengthen the 'core' area. I found that it did improve my posture, flexibiltiy and helped to deal my the lower back pain by strengthening the muscles around that area. I also discovered that I am not disciplined enough to keep up the exercises at home - supervision and the right equipment certainly helps to make sure you're doing things correctly - so as soon as I can afford it I'm going back to Studio 74!
Car
Monday 15 November 2004 2.11pm
Hi,

Bikram Yoga is supposed to be great for losing weight and the nearest class is just up at Old Street. Their website is www.bikramyoga.co.uk I think - it that doesn't work try google.

Car
Monday 15 November 2004 2.29pm
A friend of mine has started going to the Bikram Yoga City studio recently and has been enthusing about the beneficial effects....now if someone would only open a branch sarf of the river......
Monday 15 November 2004 2.42pm
if you want an all round body exercise, where you actually feel like you've done something positive afterwards, and a high chance of staying/returning/continuing you could try some kind of comunity gardening, or cider pressing, or some farm type labour. It can be healthy, and it'll be outside, and you get a real sense of achievement afterwards (not like at the gym), and it's probably cheaper!
Car
Monday 15 November 2004 3.25pm
Jon,

that sounds like an interesting idea. Any ideas/tips for something like that in SE1?
Monday 15 November 2004 3.35pm
Thanks for the suggestions - I do like Jon's ideas though would prefer something I could do either at lunchtimes or after the 20 month old reason for my expansion has gone to bed! I also do need some structure so an exercise class would certainly fulfill that. Thanks for the pilates info too - I think I might need to rethink what it is I should be doing anyway ... all suggestions welcome!!
Monday 15 November 2004 3.59pm
sorry, no idea about where or when this could be done, but it was one of the things we were discussing over the weekend at Surrey Docks Farm (SE16) whilst pressing apples to make cider (see the chatter topics)
Monday 15 November 2004 4.26pm
Aha,

There is a way to do this - it's called the green gym and is run by the BTCV (british trust for conservation volunteers??) Basically you do outdoor conservation work, and get fit and do something good at the same time. I don't know where the nearest project to SE1 is, but this site should help:

http://www.btcv.org/greengym/
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: