Eurostar closing Waterloo 2007

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 November 2004 1.54pm
Not a huge surprise, but not great news :-(

Still, 3 years left to make the most of the convenience :-)

"Eurostar Waterloo International station - which cost 130million and opened only 10 years ago - is to close. " Today's Evening Standard

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/14714414?source=Evening%20Standard

Anyone moving to be near St Pancras in 2007?

Mark.
Monday 15 November 2004 2.05pm
Thought I'd just beat James to it for once: this story is (of course) covered in the SE1 news section:

Waterloo to lose direct link with Paris and Brussels -
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1269

Mark.
Monday 15 November 2004 4.13pm

Zut Alors !!!

No more easy walk to Gare Du Nord from the front door - soon I will have to travel into the wastes of North London - Nooooooooooooooooo!!!
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.25am
I'm sure this has all been discussed before, but is there any half-way sensible reason given for this closure and relocation?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.30am
er... no.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.34am
In a word - cost

In more words - the expense of maintaining 2 terminals can't be justified. Don't worry, 'Experts' say the half hour it will take for the good folk of south London to get to St Pancras will be saved by the 2 hour journey time to Paris...alternatively, they may even consider going by air in preference to venturing into the north.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.38am
If Eurostar continued to a limited service operate from Waterloo even after the full high-speed line to St Pancras is open, it would still have to operate on the same tracks as domestic services in South London.

Although the convenience of travelling from Waterloo will be lost for people south of the river, the trains from St Pancras will still be faster than the present service.

Though of course it will be very odd to catch a train heading south-east from London from a station traditionally associated with services to the north.

In future the other option for SE1-dwellers will be to catch the Jubilee Line to Stratford and pick up Eurostar there.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 12.10pm

Given our record for large scale public infrastructure projects in recent years I am guessing 2012 before I have to go near Kings X
Tuesday 16 November 2004 4.09pm
Thanks James (for your explanation).

The stratford option makes some sort of sense, I suppose

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 6.15pm
Does anyone know if all the trains will stop at Stratford?
I personally think it is political correctness gone mad to transfer everything to Kings Cross. What a beautiful place for visitors to see when they first visit London!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: