Local sport: a big well done

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 November 2004 5.01pm
To 2 local schools-Charlotte Sharman (in SE1) and Robert Browning (in se17). They made the Rugby community challenge and played in the final at Twickenham before the match on Saturday. They got there out of 70 schools and the honours were even at the end of the game but all had a great day out.

The Southwark Tigers also took part in a exhibition game against the Brixton Broncos (?) so maybe the future of Rugby could be on the playing fields/parks of Southwark!
Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.36am
??Tigers and Broncos?? Are these rugby league teams, dee dee, do you know?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.19am
It would be good to see rugby played in Southwark - I still travel up west to get a game

I would guess the Tigers and the Broncos are Union as I doubt that league would be played at Twickenham
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.27am
bmovie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would guess the Tigers and the Broncos are
> Union as I doubt that league would be played at
> Twickenham

Mmm. Agree it'd seem unlikely. It's just that Tigers and Broncos are established RL team names (here and in Australia). Do Onion teams use those names as well (showing my ignorance)?

Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.49am
The most famous 'Broncos' are league - the most famous Tigers are union Leicester Tigers
Tuesday 16 November 2004 1.35pm
they are RFU affliated (hence getting to play at Twickenham)and are for kids/teenagers 5 and upwards I believe. The Tigers play in Burgess park on sunday mornings if anyone is passing
Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.06pm
bmovie Wrote:
> The most famous 'Broncos' are league - the most
> famous Tigers are union Leicester Tigers
I'd be shy of saying that to fans of Castleford Tigers or Wests Tigers (Aus), but personally I hate all that (often) random association of a team with an animal. My team (Hull) were once called the Sharks (gladly, no more). I always hung on to the thing that at least it might be vaguely suitable for a team based near the coast, but I think regular shark spotting in Hull have only really been a frequent thing since they opened The Deep (big aquarium).

Wednesday 17 November 2004 10.33am
Ivanhousemartin Wrote:

> I'd be shy of saying that to fans of Castleford
> Tigers or Wests Tigers (Aus), but personally I
> hate all that (often) random association of a team
> with an animal. My team (Hull) were once called
> the Sharks (gladly, no more). I always hung on to
> the thing that at least it might be vaguely
> suitable for a team based near the coast, but I
> think regular shark spotting in Hull have only
> really been a frequent thing since they opened The
> Deep (big aquarium).

I thought Hull were 'Kingston Rovers'
Off the coast around Hull rock salmon (aka dogfish, aka shark) are prolific
Leicester are named after the tigers that used to roam the area in ancient times as Northampton are called the Saints because many saints used to live and work in the area between the great wars. There are more sharks in Sale than Hull......and Bath are called rugby because they play it

Wednesday 17 November 2004 10.54am
bmovie Wrote:

> I thought Hull were 'Kingston Rovers'

Compare and contrast:
1) Top grade team, playing Super League Rugby League in a modern stadium to an average 11,000+ crowd - Hull FC

2) Second grade team, playing in the lower leagues to an average crowd that's definitely below 1,000 (don't know how far below, as they stopped giving out attendance figures when the gate dropped below 1K), in a windswept shabby dog track - Hull Kingston Rovers

I'll be happy to invite you round to Ivanhoe Towers if you ever want to watch a game.

Wednesday 17 November 2004 11.13am
Thanks for putting me straight. My knowledge of football and rugby league is very limited. Would Manchster united and Manchester City be another analogy?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: