Free River Bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
James
Friday 19 July 2002 8.54am

Thanks to Mr Hatts' tip, I took the free river bus to Tower last night, where I could pick up a dlr train, in the absence of any tube driver.

I could not believe that the river buses were almost empty (6.30pm), despite their being free. Marvellous to travel down the Thames for a change.

Where were the crowds of tourists having a free river trip? Where were the commuters who could have tried them out for free?

Bizarrely, TFL provided the free river buses, so Red Ken at the same time as supporting the aims of the tube strikers was spending Londoners' money on free river buses which were breaking the strike.

I'm just confused...
Friday 19 July 2002 8.58am
There was a big queue at Blackfriars Pier at about 6.45 when I was sitting on a bus in a traffic jam on Blackfriars Bridge
Saturday 20 July 2002 8.27am
Were the river buses free only on the day of the strike, or is there a continuous free service?
Saturday 20 July 2002 2.48pm
Same question as previous message (ref. David - Is riverbus continuous free service ?) If continuous which pier can I get on it nearest to County Hall?- Many thanks - Barbara
Wednesday 31 July 2002 12.57pm
Barbara,

You're obviously on your way to London / County Hall soon!No such thing as a free lunch / ride I'm sorry to say!
regards
Christianna
James
Wednesday 31 July 2002 2.02pm
No, it was only free on the day of the tube strike - and very efficient, clean and quick it was too.

Too much to hope that Red Ken would provide a permanently free river bus as a part of his affordable integrated transport wotsit.

http://www.thamesclippers.com/Fares.htm has a list of the fares, timetable etc. Alternatively, you can pay more and get a Bateau Mouche with commentary.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: