'Named Paving' on Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 16 November 2004 10.45pm
On my morning scuttle up from the 21 bus stop to the Tube, I've noticed two things about the pavement.

The corner stones on the side street entrances all have names on them, and most of the business have a light coloured paving stone with their name inset in steel.

Anyone know what the story is about either?
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.00pm
It was part of a 1998 scheme to 'improve' the Borough Market streetscape by East Architects

http://www.southbanklondon.com/walk_this_way/architecture.htm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 16 November 2004 11.12pm
Aaaahhh! Fantastic.

And now I know what the rubber mats are for too! (I thought they were just 'blanks' awaiting a named paving stone)
Wednesday 17 November 2004 9.17am
Ah, so that's what the rubber bits are telling me. The concrete benches along Southwark Street rarely have people taking the chance to 'sit and dwell' on them - probably because there's so much noisy traffic, but they seem to be very popular with skateboarders and mountain bikers so I suppose one small section of the community has benefited from them.
Wednesday 17 November 2004 11.54am
The majority of these schemes look good on paper and are well intentioned, but many have fundamental flaws. One reason people don't use the Southwark Street benches is because they are made of concrete, a cold, hard material that's not too nice to sit on. This is something taught to 2nd year urban planning and design students - clearly this scheme was by an architect !

The river walk by Southwark Bridge looked nice when new, but the cheapness of its construction is now showing with bits of cladding missing and the lights shining up the wall no longer working. Where bits have broken they have been repaired using cheap materials from the council depot, ruining the look. This problem has also afflicted Borough High Street where chunks of good quality semi-engineering brick paving have been lifted for access to utilities, then somehow been filled in with tarmac. You can also see this around Elephant & Castle where what already appears to be cheap and poorly laid paving has been repaired with tarmac and paving slabs of different sizes. When implementing such schemes, councils should have a maintanence plan in place so that repairs are made to the original spec.
Wednesday 17 November 2004 12.10pm
I want the lido - what a fantastic addition to the area that would be...
Wednesday 17 November 2004 1.25pm
fabhat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want the lido - what a fantastic addition to the
> area that would be...
>

I think even the sort of people who swim all year round in the Serpentine would have second thoughts about temperatures of a pool filled with water from the tidal Thames.

Sadly, I think it is one of those architect's "high concept" schemes that sadly implodes after a few minutes thought about the practicalities.
Wednesday 17 November 2004 2.23pm
From what Zappomatic writes, it would seem the basic flaw that makes some of these projects difficult to sustain and maintain lies not with the designers but with the client [the council] where there is no well thought out brief in the first place and a lack of tough questioning / testing of the ideas and specification to ensure the ideas work. So there is this wonderful romantic image of how these spaces will be used in the 'ideal' world which is tempered with very little realism. Oh, and I bet they cost a bomb....were some of these things commisssioned by the departed and unlamented [by some] Fred Manson, Southwarks former Director of Regeneration?
Wednesday 17 November 2004 2.40pm
janefs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> were some of these
> things commisssioned by the departed and
> unlamented Fred Manson, Southwarks former
> Director of Regeneration?

Indeed they were - the Architecture Foundation ran the design competition for him. Anyone else remember the Future Southwark exhibition at the "Disused Car-wash" on Southwark Street?

"In 1996, with an influx of both investment and people to the area, London Borough of Southwark sought to address the quality of its public realm. It approached the AF to assist with an open submission competition in which seven design teams were selected to produce practical proposals for the improvement of public space across the borough. Public consultation days were organised and the design proposals were exhibited in a transformed disused car-wash on Southwark Street. Its success resulted in four built schemes completed by East Architects , EP Associates, muf architecture/art and Patel Taylor."

In fairness to Fred, the projects were delivered for pretty modest sums compared with some other "regeneration" projects.

Wednesday 17 November 2004 5.29pm
The Manson project I am reminded of every day [always with the same thought - why did they think that was necessary?] is the 'new' modular street name signs - I'm a confirmed luddite as far as these are concerned and feel the old style ones were more in keeping with the area.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: