Pubs in and around Elephant and Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 18 November 2004 12.18am
Since the sad loss of The George pub I've been looking for a friendly low key local pub to settle into. Any suggestions. The Hand in Hand, Charlie Chaplin, Ly Torng, Elephant & Castle, Bar Metro (Weatherspoons), Dover Castle, Hole in the Wall and Duke of York simply don't seem friendly/personable, and I have tried ... Still, The Ship, Ruse and lately The William have grown on me, but wondering if I'm missing any gems.

What do you lot think?
Thursday 18 November 2004 6.46am
The Royal Oak would be my choice every time. Had another steak and ale pie there lastnight. Heavenly
Sal
Thursday 18 November 2004 8.45am
The Prince of Wales in St Georges Road is friendly, Margaret and Tom (the owners) are really nice and they have music of a weekend and on a Monday nite.
Thursday 18 November 2004 9.57am
Ah, the Royal Oak ... went there once and had a great evening (although Terry Jones thought we were staring, and we had tried -really- hard to act blasé .. pah). Wonder why the place didnt stick in my mind? I'm sure Steak and Ale will help that... thanks for the reminder, perfect!

The Prince of Wales rings a bell, and location wise reminds me of the Three Stags, which is around the corner I think. That was alright, had a mad french fella running around with food, just a little far for a local local. Still... on your recommendation, Sal, I'll try out the Prince of Wales .. cheers.

The more the merrier.
Thursday 18 November 2004 10.16am
At the junction of Marshalsea rd and Southwark Bridge rd is a gem of a pub called the Lord Clyde, IMO rivals the Royal Oak as the best local in SE1
Thursday 18 November 2004 2.06pm

About a 10 minute walk to the Prince of Wales in Cleaver Square - http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/review_1315.html

Regards,

Loafer
Thursday 18 November 2004 2.10pm
The Lord Clyde is great, but no food.
Thursday 18 November 2004 2.22pm
That's because its a proper pub, although they always have a few nibbles (cheese, prawns etc.) on the bar on Sunday lunchtime
Thursday 18 November 2004 2.30pm
Well it's not a proper pub then is it???
Proper pubs have sawdust on the floor, serve gin in pints, have punch-ups, blah, blah, blah......
Thursday 18 November 2004 2.48pm

I am concerned that the more people talk about the Lord Clyde thye more likely it will be filled with smarmy newcomers to the area rather than hoary old-timers like us - ssshhhh

tfic :o)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network