Traffic Management Exhibition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 19 July 2002 3.20pm
Southwark Regeneration is currently running an exhibition showng their proposed trafic calming measures for the area roughly bounded by New Kent Road, Newington Causeway, Newcomen St, Snowsfields, Crucifix Lane and Tower Bridge Road. There are two big residential areas that will get 20mph zones.. There will be raised tables at junctions, cycle lanes, etc. Crosby Row and Tanner Street will become one-way. The south end of Bartholemew Street will be closed.

If you live within the above area you should excercise your right to influence the plans. You can do this by visiting the exhibition, or failing that phone 0800 616823 for a questinnaire.

The exhibition is at:

John Harvard Library, Borough High Street, Friday 19th July 2pm - 6pm (today, hurry!)

Main Concourse, E & C Shopping Centre, Saturday 20th July 10am - 2pm (tomorrow)

Saturday 20 July 2002 8.40am
Thanks Zoodle, I'll hobble to the E & C today, I hope they go ahead and close the New Kent Road entrance into Bartholomew Street, the speed with which they fly down, narrowly missing the coaches p[arked illegally on the yellow lines, or the lorries parked illegally on the resident bays. is incredible.
Saturday 20 July 2002 8.44pm
I vary my mode of travel to my SE1 office; cycle, tube and car. I will be priced out of using the car shortly with the congestion tax and so I will enjoy cycling down roads with fewer and slower cars.
Monday 29 July 2002 6.24pm
I think you are in for a surprise, since hardly anyone who currently drives into the city will care about such a pointlessly low congestion charge, when they are paying at least 30/day for the privelige of parking in one of Londons value-for-money car parks.

The traffic levels will be much the same as they were before. Congestion charging is simply a tax. It will not reduce the number of people driving into london unless it is set at much much higher levels.
Saturday 3 August 2002 1.13pm
I hope you are wrong about this. A lot is riding on whether this scheme works or not. I really hope it does. I must say I thought from the outset that 10 quid would be more like it. On the other hand, apparently the rate in Singapore is somewhat less than the equivalent of 5 quid, and that certainly seems to work. (Mind you their public transport is impeccable)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: