Amazing building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 19 November 2004 11.33am

every morning when I walk (or cycle) up Swan St. towards work the Berkeley Homes development - now clearly visible above Tabard Street's existing buildings - get taller. It is pretty amazing (to me) how quick they are throwing the thing up. Today you can see them hoisting whole fitted pre-fabricated bathrooms, up into the building by crane.
Friday 19 November 2004 12.21pm
'Throwing up' indeed - let's hope the quality of construction is better than most modern developments are reputed to be [or the modern development I live in actually is].

Pee ess - does anyone know if they got permission for the 30 storeys they went back to ask for - having been refused 26 in the first place....
Friday 19 November 2004 12.32pm
janefs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'Throwing up' indeed - let's hope the quality of
> construction is better than most modern
> developments are reputed to be .

It is a concrete skeleton which probably have plasterboard walls - you will be able to hear your neighbour change his socks I think. I am not sure about the extra storeys. It is already massive - you can see how it will dominate the top end of Tabard Street.
Friday 19 November 2004 1.06pm
Yes, I am SO looking forward to that tower going up...that end of Long Lane is going to resemble an urban version of the Grand Canyon. Its noticeable that the images presented on the hoardings depict the view FROM the tower, but don't attempt to show the real impact on those living near it.
Friday 19 November 2004 4.40pm
They will have to satisfy regs for sound insulation so not so sure things are as bad as they used to be... Changing their shoes maybe but not socks...
Tuesday 23 November 2004 10.19am
You can also watch the building popping up online: http://62.172.214.37/webcams/tabard/
Tuesday 23 November 2004 10.41am
thanks magoot, but I'm quite close enough to it as it is....
Tuesday 23 November 2004 11.00am
There are so many obvious downsides to this building (I can't even think what effect it will have on my chances of a table in the Oak), that I'm just hanging on to one thought:

- at least I'll be able to walk through from Gt Dover St to Long Lane and not have to go round (which is beginning to bug me after all this time)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 3.05pm
What's wrong with Pilgrimage St?
Wednesday 1 December 2004 9.36am
Throwing up lousy buildings in a hurry is only possible with the cooperation of our lovely minister for the Environment, Mr. J. Prescott. He has instructed his Inspectors to pass ANYTHING that resembles housing, regardless of situation or quality. We in Metro Central Heights are fighting tooth and nail to prevent St. George (part of Berkeley) putting up a sixteen storey building on our parking lot, crammed in between us and the railway opposite the Coronet. It's a scandalous proposal, but these days Mr. Prescott rules....
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: