Lambeth area? a good neighbourhood to live?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 20 July 2002 2.27pm
Hello fellow neighbours,

As a student i will move this septembre from the Netherlands to London SE1, Lambeth region (next to the Imperial War musuem).
Although i did some 'research' about this particular neighbourhood, i haven't got a good view on my future living spot.
What can i expect from this region as a student (with a student budget)? Tips and advice on neighbourhood shops, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. ? Any thoughts and experiences are welcome.

Thanx in advance,
Saturday 20 July 2002 8.40pm
Restaurants and student budgets are inherently incompatible. However, there is a nice cafe in Kenninton Lane and a shooping centre in Walworth.
Sunday 21 July 2002 5.12pm
I would suggest that you buy a book on on "London for free" - there are several on the market. You will be in a central area and the London Underground makes everywhere very accessable.If you look through the older messages on the forum there have been some really good suggestions for reasonably priced places to eat. Although London is an expensive city you can discover a lot just by walking around.Several of the wonderful museums are now free and the parks too are havens.Nevertheless I would suggest that you save up as much money as possible!! - Why not do further research on the internet just under "Lambeth"?- You really have a great experience ahead of you in September.
Sunday 21 July 2002 6.45pm
Thanx Barbara, i'll defnitely go after that book suggestion you gave. It seems that (Greater) Lambeth deals with quite a lot crime problems. What should i expect from this? is this also applicable on the neighbourhood i ll stay (hall of residence is situated on Lambeth Road next to Imperial War Museum).

Again thanx
Sunday 21 July 2002 8.35pm
Hi Eecol - I don't live in London but I am very very familiar with the city as I spend a week there every year in August and spend weekends there on a regular basis throughout the year.I have just completed a degree in English Literature and for this reason, the Southbank is my favourite area because of it's connection with the arts and ofcourse the Globe Theatre.As I have children I don't venture out too much on the streets of London very late at night so I'm not the best authority on the crime scene.I would say that unfortunately crime is just a sign of our times and London is no different to any other major city in that respect. - Having said that I used to live in Barcelona where I felt far more vulnerable than in London - but maybe I'm biased.- Can anybody else who is more familiar with Lambeth and crime help Eecol out here?!!!! PS - Be aware of cime etc. and then move on.You have a lot more to be thinking of with such an exciting year ahead !!!!!! - The area where you'll be staying is extremely busy, with traffic racing around everywhere.It's central to everywhere.If you want some peace and serenity I would recommend getting on the Underground and making your way to Brompton Oratory near all the Museums in Kensington (sorry to divert from SE London). - Regardless of religious beliefs the 11 o'clock mass there on Sunday is the nearest thing you'll experience to heaven on earth !!!! (In my opinion anyway !!!) - Bye - Barbara.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: