Buying a bottle of wine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 20 July 2002 4.06pm
Put the question to the Forum earlier in the year as to where I can quickly run out to buy a bottle of normal priced wine, when staying at the County Hall this year and got some great replies !!! - However, just wondering if anywhere new that sells wine had opened up nearby since last August as I don't like leaving my children alone in the hotel for too long. Last year the only supermarket behind the hotel didn't sell wine and I had to go into Waterloo station - up the escalator etc. !!! and queue for 15 mins! I was certainly ready for a glass of wine when I got back to my room, after all that !!! - Many thanks - Barbara
Saturday 20 July 2002 8.14pm
There's always a quick trip to Paris via the Tunnel but that may take marginally longer than 15 minutes.

What's normal priced wine? I normally reckon to pay 4 a bottle and the special offers available a large supermarkets selling 6 bottles for 4 are not readily available near County Hall.

There is CostCutter in The Cut, now open 24hours with a modest selection of 'normal priced wine'. I will lok out for an off licence next time I walk from the Elephant to my office.
Sunday 21 July 2002 7.47am
David have you tried M & S's house wine? - had some the other day it was pretty good - we had the red, though my knowledge of wine is limited , my fellow diners assured me it was far superior to others.
Sunday 21 July 2002 9.06am
M & S house wine is fine, but is there an outlet where Barabara can rush from County Hall and have the wine in her glass in her room before her children notice she's gone out?
Sunday 21 July 2002 4.53pm
Thank-you for the responses to all my recent messages! - I think that the solution to my buying a bottle of wine problem is to buy a couple of bottles, here in the north west and to put them in my suitcase !!!! - A Tesco near Waterloo station would do a roaring trade !!!! - Really looking forward to spending a week in the area again next month, as I have gathered so much new information from the forum since visiting last year !!!
PS - Jan - I have tried the M&S housewine and I agree that it is indeed very pleasant !!!
Here we go...
Monday 29 July 2002 10.13am
Hi Barbara,

The Costcutter on the Cut is quite expensive for wine. There is a Threshers on Stamford Street that can have some good deals but I think the Victoria Wine in Waterloo is closer than either of those two. The best local wine shop is in Vinopolis, well worth a visit. There is also an Odd Bins on the Strand, over Hungerford Bridge.
Monday 29 July 2002 6.02pm
I think the Pont de la Tour wine merchant will deliver to your hotel.
They have a pretty good selection. Probably a little bit on the pricey side, but then I suppose that's to be expected.
Saturday 3 August 2002 1.08pm
This just goes to show the advantages of living at Elephant, where you can nip into Tesco and buy a bottle of wholly acceptable wine for 2.99.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: